Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes ID Corner

Nepenthes ID Corner Post a picture and description of your plant for members to help identify for you

Old 26th January 2011, 11:13 AM

Default Mystery Nep - Please help ID

Hello everyone,

I have a nep here that i got last summer. I haven't a clue as to what it is. It was supposed to be an ampularia, but it obviously doesn't look like one. If anyone can Id this, that would be truly amazing or at least tell me if it's a lowland or highland cause I'm at a total loss here lol. Here's some pics.

Old 26th January 2011, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Mystery Nep - Please help ID

look like a young hookeriana but i could be wrong.....

want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3783
Old 26th January 2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Bonjour robthered,
I think your mystery nep is a hybrid with N. mirabilis gene in it. Can't be sure what's the other parent(s) as this stage yet...

It's middle of the winter there in Montreal, right? Your neps seems to be getting a good amount of light
Old 26th January 2011, 06:34 PM

I would say it has rafflesiana genes in it cause of the pitcher shape and also the leaves. Could be rafflesiana x mirabilis (from thailand) or something like that.

Just a guess

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 27th January 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NepNut View Post
Bonjour robthered,
I think your mystery nep is a hybrid with N. mirabilis gene in it. Can't be sure what's the other parent(s) as this stage yet...

It's middle of the winter there in Montreal, right? Your neps seems to be getting a good amount of light
Hey Nepnut!

Yes it is the middle of winter here. We have snow coming down today and yesterday it was -30 celcuis lol. Wish i lived in Malaysia :P. I hate the snow, the cold and everything that comes along with it. Only good thing is I dont have to run an a/c to chill my plants, Just put a fan in front of my iced over windows lol. I'll post a pic of the windows tonight, there is about an inch of ice on the one in my plant room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyn chan View Post
look like a young hookeriana but i could be wrong.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentosaurs View Post
I would say it has rafflesiana genes in it cause of the pitcher shape and also the leaves. Could be rafflesiana x mirabilis (from thailand) or something like that.

Just a guess
Thanks for all the info guys, it's very much appreciated :D. You all seem to think it's a lowland so I'm going to move it to my lowland tank; right now it's in my highland tank. Hopefully in time when it gets bigger it will be more easily identifiable. If anyone else has any ideas of what this nep is, I'm all ears .
Old 27th January 2011, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Hey robthered,
Ahhh... -30C with wind chill?? I love winter... mainly because of ice fishing...

Back to the topic, I think if this mystery nep i is doing well (good pitcher to leave ratio) in the current growing condition, why not just let it be?? Unless it's suffering then you should move it.
Old 27th January 2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NepNut View Post
Hey robthered,
Ahhh... -30C with wind chill?? I love winter... mainly because of ice fishing...

Back to the topic, I think if this mystery nep i is doing well (good pitcher to leave ratio) in the current growing condition, why not just let it be?? Unless it's suffering then you should move it.
Ya good call. I'll leave it in the highland tank for now and if it starts looking grumpy then I'll move it to the lowland.

I think it likes the highland tank better. During the summer when it got really hot a few times, the neps put out a really small and slightly deformed leaf (see third pic in my first post; it's the leaf @ 7 o'clock), so I started giving it colder temps and now it seems to be pitchering again. But then again it could have become deformed due to a thirp attack I had. who knows lol.

As for the weather here, it was -30 without the wind chill lol. luckily it wasnt that windy for the two days it was that cold. Now its back to a normal -17 today . fun times.