Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 17th December 2008, 02:19 AM

Default Small question...

Hey everyone,

I just repotted an N. Kkhasiana last night. It used to be planted in a mix of mostly coconut husk chips and some LFS. I have now potted it up in a 2:1:1 ratio of coconut husk chips/perlite/New Zealand Sphagnum Moss. Today the plants newest leaf shows signs of wilting. I have recently repotted some of my other neps into this new mix with little or no signs of wilting or shock. I have carefully removed as much of the old mix from the roots as possible, so some root disturbance probably took place. I dont know why N. khasiana is showing this behavior as it has been treated exactly like my other repotted plants. I was vigorously growing before this repotting. Any suggestions on the matter at hand? I know neps go into some shock when repotted, but this is the only one that shows wilting, for now only on the most recently emerged leaf. Thanks a lot, looking forward to your replies.

Here are some pics:

Later!

Grow List
Old 17th December 2008, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Small question...

Hi Panenep

I don't really see signs of wilting at all on the nep looks fine to me.But well since you say there is....Why not since you just changed its media put it in a slightly shaded condition first so that it can slowly root into the new media.

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 17th December 2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I think Ken has a good suggestion there. Also if you want to be extra cautious, you could treat it like a cutting and bag it up so humidity is very high.

It's odd that it should act that way. Are you talking about the leaf on the right of the picture? It looks like it is curved down a little. But besides that the whole plant looks fine to me. It looks like it's only that one leaf. Maybe you just monitor it and see.

You media looks great.

Just thinking here... Where did you get the coconut chips and was it washed and soaked in water before use? Perlite and NS s. moss should give no problems and is sterile. Just worried that the coconut chips may be contaminated.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 17th December 2008, 02:19 PM

Well I guess this was just another case of getting too worried over small details. It is just so difficult for me to get new plants that i deeply fear loosing any. Apparently it was the drop in humidity during the day that made the leaf wilt a bit...... now that night time has come it is back to normal. I'm guessing it will be alright, I'm not even gonna move it from it's place. I'll keep an eye on it though and post a follow-up if drastic changes for the worse occur. Thanks for the advice though guys, it always puts the mind at ease.

David,
I ordered the coconut chips from a vendor in the States. I personally talked to them about the coconut husk chips and their potential mineral contents. They are Sai coconut husk chips from Sri Lanka. it states that they have been thoroughly washed with fresh water. The vendor told me they have gotten good reviews on them and that it has worked great for orchids with no further washing necessary. Before using them for potting up my plants I did soak them in rainwater and washed away most of the debris. So far so good. Most of the plants I repotted showed no signs of shock and continued to grow right away. For lowlanders I just add one part peat to the above mix.

Thanks again, later!

Grow List