Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default owl: D.I.Y. Non-chemical Pest Controller

owl

D.I.Y Nonchemical Pest Spray
« Thread Started on Aug 8, 2007, 2:28am » As much as I like gardening, there's one thing I cannot bear/tolerate with, which is PEST in my plants!! They're such a pain in the a**, no matter what you do sometimes you just can't get rid all of them! They just like to gather around & have party in your little yard!!!

So I was searching internet madly & desperately for some hope to fight those tiny evil, and I found some natural ways to get rid of it besides using insecticide/pesticide. All you have to do is a little bit of DIY & in the same time won't/less harm your health & the environment.

Before you proceed, please read the warnings below…

WARNING:
1) Always perform a test on a small portion of the plant material first. Wait 24 hours to observe any negative reaction. Proceed if there is no damage.

2) More is not better. If you are not getting good results don't increase the strength of these remedies without testing first.

3) Target just the area you need to treat. When using a spray, remember it can kill beneficial bugs as well as pests, so spray only when you are sure the pests are present.

1. Natural Pest Repellent
Keep slugs and aphids away from window boxes with a homemade, nonchemical pest spray.

Place one peeled onion, two peeled garlic cloves, and one teaspoon cayenne pepper in the jar of a blender. Add three cups of water, and blend until smooth. Let the mixture sit overnight, strain the liquid into a spray bottle, and coat plants generously. The solution will keep, refrigerated in the bottle, for up to one week.

2. All-Natural Repellent

Turn away pesky ants for days on end with this nontoxic repellent.

Pour equal amounts of water and white vinegar into a spray bottle, and shake to mix. Then spritz the solution in water-resistant areas where ants are common, such as kitchen floors or the crevices in painted baseboards from which the pests often enter. You can also use the repellent outside.

3. Alcohol sprays (Warning: May cause leaf damage.)
Alcohol sprays work on mealy bugs & have been used successfully on houseplants and tropical foliage plants. Most of these have heavy, waxy cuticles that are not easily burned.

Mix 1 to 2 cups alcohol [Use only 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol] per quart of water (1 quart=4 cups) into a sprayer. Using undiluted alcohol as a spray is very risky for plants.

Since alcohol can damage plants always test your spray mix on a few leaves of plants first. If the spray kills the pests and no leaf damage shows within the next 2 or 3 days, go ahead and spray further, using exactly the same ingredients and proportions you tested. If an infestation is well-established, it will be necessary to make a series of applications, at 10 to 14 day intervals, for mealy bug control.

You can also use cotton dip into the solution & touch each bug individually if you scared damage the leaves. Although it's time consuming, but reliable.

4. Basic Soap Spray

Most effective on soft bodied insects; mites, aphids, whiteflies, thrips,
Soap penetrates the cell membrane and causes the pest to dry out. Very little residue.

Two tablespoons of biodegradable dishwashing liquid mix with 1 gallon of warm water (1 US gallon=16 US cups) and use as a spray. Repeat as necessary.

5. Predator - Ladybugs
Besides using the above non-chemical control, for fighting the nasty aphids, you can use a little help from ladybug/ladybird (whichever you called it), they loves aphids, the female lay eggs near the prey, to increase the likelihood the larvae will find the prey easily. How smart! But be careful if put ladybug on carnivorous plant or it may end up to be the plant's dinner, I certainly hope not, ladybug is a beneficial insect. So if you ever catch one, don't 'feed' it to any of your carnivorous plants, they do not harm your plant.

Personally speaking, I had tried the first method, um.., it works ok, but has to spray consistently because it is natural, it won't stay long. But it is economical & harmless to you (that's what most important as chemical pesticide is no joke, do no good to your health if you inhale/& get contact with it.Unless you wear a mask & gloves, which I doubt most people will bother to wear it.)

Also another very important factor, natural repellent does no harm the environment.

But I'd say ladybug is the most effective one to kill aphids, as they eat and eat non stop, I once placed it under the leaf full with aphids, it eats those nasty aphids right away. Within a second, the aphid under that leaf is gone. However, that ladybug I caught might get eaten by lizard, ‘cause I can't find it anymore, is the only ladybug I caught, so sad. I only saw that lizard hiding behind the plant, (it still hiding happily everyday). Or May be that ladybug flew away, don't like my yard I guess.

I hope this little information helps; and also hope this helps you less dependent on chemical pesticide.

~ Love our green earth. ~

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.48.81.149 David
Administrator

member is online

Re: D.I.Y Nonchemical Pest Spray
« Reply #1 on Aug 8, 2007, 3:29pm » Thanks for this information. Will archive it.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged