Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st July 2008, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Naturae - Venus's Flytrap Book By Tim Bailey

Have any of you read this book? I just ordered this book. It seems very detailed. below is an excerpt by the author himself on ICPS forum last month. What caught my attention was that the author spent 3.5 years researching for the information before publishing the book. That's a lot of work and effort and I think it should be good.

The book cost 19.50GBP. Shipping to me in KL, Malaysia is 8.10GBP. So total is 27.60GBP, which comes up to RM178.00... Yaa. I know, I've burnt a BIG hole in my pocket again.

Here's the excerpt from ICPS forum by Tim Bailey about his book:

The book is a 277 page paperback (+ CD-Rom) dedicated to VFTs. It gives a detailed account of it's culture, natural history and botanical history (1759-1800). If that's not enough the book includes 10 biographical memoirs of the main eighteenth century naturalists and botanists who played a significant part in the plant's early history (Arthur Dobbs, John & William Bartram, Peter Collinson, John Ellis, Daniel Solander, William Young, etc.). Half the book is based on the plant's culture and natural history and the other half the plant's botanical history and the memoirs. The plant's history during this period is absolutely fascinating and really captivated me.

The history is packed full of VFT correspondence about the plant between 1759-1800 and other historic literature (e.g. John Ellis's letter in the St. James's Chronicle (Sept 1768) in which he validly, according to present-day International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (Nelson, E. C., 1989), named the plant Dionaea muscipula and gave the plant the common name Venus's Flytrap; John Ellis's Botanical Description of Dionaea Muscipula; and Daniel Solander's description of the plant from his slip-catalogue, held at the British Museum). There's also the first published image of the dried specimen of the VFT John Bartram sent over to England in the early 1760s, which is held in the Linnean Society of London herbarium collection. I've also covered the truth behind the plant's name Tipitiwitchet, given to it by the American Naturalist John Bartram.

The natural history is detailed too. For example, it covers the plant's habitat right down to the soil profile in which it grows, its distribution, morphology, how the plant catches food (trapping mechanism), it's vulnerability, etc.

A detailed account of the plant's propagation enhances the book - there's even 15 pages dedicated to pest and diseases and treatments! Propagation and the plant's life cycle is supported by the CD-Rom that comes free with the book - a professionally produced CD that includes step-by-step, and printable, propagation guides, amongst other things.

Basic book details can be viewed on my website, including price and how to buy a copy if it's of interest to you, at: www.thevenusflytrapbook.com. A few excerpts can be viewed on my publishers book page: trafford.com/07-1224. It can be bought from all the usual sources, though at this time signed copies can only be bought through my website.

It's taken me 3.5 years to research and write as a lot of the information is hidden away. If you've ever tried to research the VFT you will know what I mean.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb