Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Ant Plants

Ant Plants Everything about Tuberous Ant Plants, Dischidia and Ant Ferns

Old 3rd July 2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default atmccmn: Empty house (Read 131 times)

atmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

Empty house
« Thread Started on 12 Aug, 2007, 22:43 »Although these are few of the ant hosting plants, but my plants are without them.!!!!...What could be wrong?

These are few of the ant plants from my collection. Mostly are dischidia, ant fern with hydnophytum as a super condo!
These plants are much dreaded by orchidist as ants are vector for various disease

Here are some of my super condo. but sans ants!!!
This image is reduced by 46%, click it to view full size.

Hydnophytum

Main entrance.........

Lecanopteris

Dischidia

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

Re: Empty house
« Reply #1 on 13 Aug, 2007, 22:27 »Nice Dischidia!! Did you put them under shade and how often you give them water? « Last Edit: 13 Aug, 2007, 22:28 by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimcaseyhoo

member is online

« Reply #2 on 13 Aug, 2007, 23:24 »Dischidia is those called "wallet" plant that sell in most of nursery? Can you please share with us how you take care them? So far, I dont have luck with "wallet" plant...

Thanx..,
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
atmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #3 on 14 Aug, 2007, 9:53 »One thing for sure they don't like to get wet all the time! Mine are grown among tree branches. As you've known, they are vines. They creep all over the places and have those 'wallets' among the branches.

I water them as when I water my tillies. Sometimes 1t get daily shower especially during those dry season. At other time I'll just leave it to Mother Nature to do the job for me.....hehehe!!!

If you want to grow them, it is best to mount it to a substrate (a fern slab) with a cushion of sphagnum moss. Tie them togetherThis will get you a kick start. Once establish, you can fertilise it with foliar spray or organic granules twice a month depending on your dosage.

As a general rule of thumb, start with light regular fertilisation first. Unfortunately, I grow mine wild!!!

They preffer shaded place, as this do apply for any ephiphytic plants. A 50% shaded cloth is good or place it at dappled shaded area with good ventilation.
Hope this help!