Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Default Robert: D.adelae propagation (Read 209 times)

Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

D.adelae propagation
« Thread Started on 24 Mar, 2008, 23:36 »How and what method do you propagate D.adelae leaves.

As for me i placed them flat on a moist tissue paper, in an enclosed container, open occassionally since 23.02.2008. A week ago small plantlets starts appearing.

the enclosed container

small plantlets
« Last Edit: 24 Mar, 2008, 23:37 by Robert »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

Re: D.adelae propagation
« Reply #1 on 25 Mar, 2008, 8:22 »I just let them propagate via roots. They will soon cover the whole pot once the mother plant is matured& happy enough to send out plantlets this way. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

« Reply #2 on 25 Mar, 2008, 8:38 »
Quote: How and what method do you propagate D.adelae leaves.

I start by trying to find someone with a D. adelea.

Quote: As for me i placed them flat on a moist tissue paper, in an enclosed container, open occassionally since 23.02.2008. A week ago small plantlets starts appearing.

Great progress in a month, Robert! Those type of containers look really familiar (and work really well!) Is there a reason that you chose tissue paper verses sphagnum, or was it just what was at hand? Having finally found a source for 3 kilo bales of sphagnum (after 2 years of trying!) I am using it for almost all my propagation needs now. These are mostly D. burmanii, D. indica, platycerium, neps, various ferns from spores, and Dischidea babys.
This image is reduced by 46%, click it to view full size.

This looks like fun. Anybody with unsightly leaves on their plants, please feel free to mail me any of your clipping "trash"!
Shawn
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 25 Mar, 2008, 8:42 »hi Shawn.......your place looks like a lab for tissue culture or something...heheh. Can`t wait to see your `****es` when they grow up. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

« Reply #4 on 25 Mar, 2008, 8:52 »Hi tarence - yeah, Just yesterday I banished all the neps that were more than 4" tall from the floor of the porch! I can finally get out there again to move around - but that won't last long! I am doing some side-by-side germination tests using Gibb. in 50% to see what kind of difference it makes. Not perfect protocols as I planted 1/2 without Gibb. and then when the fresh Gibb arrived a week later I soaked and planted the other 1/2. But this morning I noticed that the first, untreated N. Coccinea x amps are germinating at a really high rate! This means my porch will be filled again shortly as there are a minimum of 1,000 seedlings popping in those tupperwares! I'll try to shoot some photos if the contents of those shelves but it'll take a few days.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 25 Mar, 2008, 9:15 »wokie...thx Shawn.....i won`t be surprised if i find the whole of Koh Samui covered with neps in future then.... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

« Reply #6 on 25 Mar, 2008, 9:32 »That's part of the plan!!! Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #7 on 25 Mar, 2008, 14:47 »
Quote:
Great progress in a month, Robert! Those type of containers look really familiar (and work really well!) Is there a reason that you chose tissue paper verses sphagnum, or was it just what was at hand?
Shawn

No particular reason Shawn. At that moment i feel like trying using tissue paper instead of peat or sphagnum, to try and see the outcome.

Shawn, with the warmth and the 100% humidity inside the container ( those without openings ) do you check them every 2,3 or 4 days, no fungi problem ?

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedmilossula

« Reply #8 on 25 Mar, 2008, 15:29 »D.adelae is very easy to propagate from leaves ( like D.binata for example ). I am using peat moss.It is possible to propagate this one also by floating in pure water. I have bad experiences with died sphagnum moss - it is attacked by fungus which kill the seeds/leaves.

BTW: N. thorelii "Tiger" x N.rafflesiana var. alata could be interesting hybrid. ( i imagine red tiger like pitchers with alata like wings on tendrils )
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMilos Sula
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 25 Mar, 2008, 20:49 »I've tried a varieties of different method, some more successful than the others.

I find that any media would encourage growth of mold and covering the container actually delays the growth. This is my conclusion after 5 experiments using different methods.

I swear by water propogation now. Below is of 3 leaves cut into 2 each, the photo is after only 25 days!

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #10 on 25 Mar, 2008, 21:04 »wow, Athene very compact growth. Mine is still early to tell but hope they turn out like this Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

« Reply #11 on 25 Mar, 2008, 22:18 »Robert captured it perfectly "WOW" They look like litlle mini-hydroponic log rafts full of plantlets! I think I've just decided which method I'll try out first! Thanks for the pictures - really shows the truth of "a picture's worth a thousand words"!

Milosulu - Man you've got good eyes! Want a career in nep seed planting? Wonder if my tired old eyes were once that sharp? Those seeds were sent to me by Xir in Bangkok. I planted on 1/21 and the first germination took a month, now this morning, a month later they have started a new wave of germination.

Robert - in the above mentioned nep seed containers I do find a higher rate of mold problems. I started out cutting a window in every lid and gluing in silk as screens - works really good. Then probably just got too busy and, and, and! I open every container each morning when they get misted (if needed)...those with the silk can go about 3 days without drying out or opening. The larger no-opening tubberware are really fungus incubators though. Think I'll be cutting windows first thing tomorrow morning!
The tissue paper actually looked really good as the plantlets are highly visible and there's not too many fibers for them to get all rooted in together right away.
I've heard about the water method before but I think I'm close to convinced now!

Glad I get off the nepenthes threads every once in a while! Thanks everybody!
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on 25 Mar, 2008, 22:19 »Here's another photo of the d. adelae, I get this many from 1 leaf.

The plants was transplanted at 1 month.

Athene's Wishlist
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on 25 Mar, 2008, 22:22 »And this ****es are offshoot from the roots, transplanted over the weekend because it was getting way too crowded in the main pot

Athene's Wishlist
artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on 25 Mar, 2008, 22:34 »wahh.. lotsa ****es...
Btw, where did u get the square pots?
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]shawnintland

« Reply #15 on 25 Mar, 2008, 22:41 »Yes! This is great seeing other people into doing propagation like this - "I'M NOT CRAZY!"...WELL...ERR... AHMMM...AT LEAST... "I'M NOT THE ONLY CRAZY"!

I just found a load of those square pots (2 sizes) here on Samui yesterday...bought 'em out of stock! Unfortunately it was only about 20-25 pcs.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on 25 Mar, 2008, 23:57 »
Quote: wahh.. lotsa ****es...
Btw, where did u get the square pots?

finally got them here in Penang, but they didn't have that many.

it came in a tray like frame, 40 to a set. Each cost RM25. The soft pots can be separated individually but not the frame thingie.

The guy told me it's from Holland and he sold me at old cost price, he won't be ordering more and even if he does, the price is going to be much much more expensive.

I had to split it into 20 and thank god it fits perfectly in my green water tray!

Athene's Wishlist