Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Aldrovanda vesiculosa

Aldrovanda vesiculosa Everything about the Water Wheel Plant

Old 8th July 2010, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Red Aldrovanda

Gosh Big brother!! I wonder if you can just put a sign.. "contains carnivorous water plants and Mossie pellets" to deter big brother from bothering your pond?

I just realized that if you culture daphnia, you will still have the same problem with the AVA, because you sure can't put a fish with the daphnia culture, and yes sometimes my culture will get some mossie larvae, which gets fed to my fish or aldro anyway. Not sure but I think putting mossie pellets with the daphnia culture will work, in fact the daphnia will eat the bacteria that is contained in those pellets, but yeah hard work.

So your best bet is to get a few snails, ramshorn snails are in my opinion the safest. You only need a few adults, as the adults will not be eaten by the aldros, only the very small ones fit the trap and gets eaten.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 12th July 2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvin555 View Post
Gosh Big brother!! I wonder if you can just put a sign.. "contains carnivorous water plants and Mossie pellets" to deter big brother from bothering your pond?

I just realized that if you culture daphnia, you will still have the same problem with the AVA, because you sure can't put a fish with the daphnia culture, and yes sometimes my culture will get some mossie larvae, which gets fed to my fish or aldro anyway. Not sure but I think putting mossie pellets with the daphnia culture will work, in fact the daphnia will eat the bacteria that is contained in those pellets, but yeah hard work.

So your best bet is to get a few snails, ramshorn snails are in my opinion the safest. You only need a few adults, as the adults will not be eaten by the aldros, only the very small ones fit the trap and gets eaten.

TTFN
Arvin
To be honest, most of them wouldn't believe the sign and will check because they're paid to do so, plus most of them probably don't even know there are carnivorous water plant in existance.

The problem with snails is that many of them don't seem to like water that is even slightly acidic and I've even had some die on me before...
Old 1st August 2010, 02:11 AM

I think that the few hours of morning sun is making your Aldrovanda red/orange! Congrats!