Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Lithops

Lithops Everything about Pebble Plants or Living Stones

Old 4th August 2008, 01:12 AM
Executive Member

Default Some peebles and stone to share

Hello just wanna share a pic of stones.....

Hope you guys like it...

Regards
Jonathan
Old 4th August 2008, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Some peebles and stone to share

Errr... As usual... I got 1 question...

How long have u been keeping these stoned-looking plants?

I used to keep them, if the term "keeping" applies... Mine never seems to get past 2 months mark... They just seems to do nothing except one thing... They always a. rot on me, or b. dry on me...

Some cultivation tips might be great.
Old 5th August 2008, 07:20 AM
Executive Member

Hello...

Erm.... They have been with me since april 2008 till now... nothing much really they grow so slow and all you need to do is just ignore them... but make a check once a while.. mine get water once when they wrinkles...is about one and a half month time between watering...

Regards
Jonathan
Old 5th August 2008, 03:33 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Hi Jon, can show a close up picture? Can't really see which is which. Those are definitely lovely stones.
Old 5th August 2008, 05:06 PM
Executive Member

hello Ts...

Haha... it has been awhile since i last talk with you bro... here is the individual on request...

Hope you like them...

Regards
Jonathan
Old 7th August 2008, 12:31 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

OMG, those are nice little jewels, envy you.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Jon,

Can i know where you got them? Been looking for them for a while now. Was as Sg. buloh nurseries last weekedn. Did not see any. I understand that you can find them in Cameron Highlands?

Really cute and beautiful lithops you have there.

By the way, does the different colours of the different plant mean they are diffrerent species in the same genus?

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 7th August 2008, 12:51 PM
Pioneer

Yeah Jon,
ive been looking for this "Stone" for a looooong time..
really want my hands on them. heheh
where do u got it? how many $$$?
And some brief tips on caring for them will be very, very helpful. e.g: light, positioning etc.

Naj
Old 7th August 2008, 07:07 PM
Advisor

i bought them from Camerons last time 6 pots for rm10. the cheapest so far. Sg buloh, the last shop inside which has the indon kakak, sells it 3 for rm10 but so far, no stock already.

they are quite cute. if i get them again, i`ll plant it in my office. full sun & also got aircon.

usually, we report them using sand & peat moss ( 10% approx) at the bottom, sides are pebbles all the way to the top. figured that`s how they grow in the wild. water ONLY like once in 3 or 4 months. NEVER let the rain get to them, ever. or let them get side splashed or sploshed by rain. Full sun.

how to find these conditions ? heheh.
Old 8th August 2008, 10:19 AM
Executive Member

Hello all....

Firstly thank you ts glad that you like it...

Secondly David.... i don't think you can get them in sg, buloh since most of them don't know how to take care of them lead to dead plant that is what they have told me.... cameron highland i heard they are selling at brinchang night market but i have not been there to look for it... btw the price stated is rm5 per pot and they only have 1 type. and i also heard you can get them in Bangkok "Chatuchak" market and they have quit a collection of verity's with a cheaper price tag

the genus actually different from one and another but the flower however are only base on white and yellow coloration only and yes different colours in a same genus is different species and they have different name too...

Thirdly naj i got those stone from a germany seller which i'll give you the website after this... it's kinda hard to come by in local nursery since most of them here when you ask of "lithops" they don't even know what it is.... to them is just another verity of cacti with a higher price plus a dead plant with too much care...

But anyway i actually place them under full sun with my droseras and fly trap without them singing "raindrop is falling on my head" because they are shaded from rain by using clear pvc cilling and no rain splash from the side.

Watering they actually have 2 watering cycle when they start to form new leaf which is after dormancy you dun even need to water them because the old leaf will supply enough water for the new growth (if you water them at this period of time they will rot away)

growing season is when they finish forming the new leaf and flowering is a time when they need more water..."which i don't dare to state how often you should water them" but what i do is basically 2 step " observe and ignore"which means i water them when the they showing a sighs of shriveling and ignore them after that...

Media... the media i use is actually pebbles based...

media mix

80% Pebbles
20% Fern bark
10% Silica sand
10% Peat
top with pebbles
in ceramic pot to avoid heat building under full sun... i dun want to cook them after watering with pebbles under full sun. (pebbles + water + sun + plastic pot heat buildup = boiling lithops in plastic pot)

location where you place them much be airy with full sun and without rain splashing on them....

here is the website ( http://www.conos-paradise.com/ )

I'm glad that you guys like it and what i wrote up above is only my tough and my experience in handling them... if there is any mistake please do let me know

Alright... take care everyone and happy planting ^^

Regards
Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan; 8th August 2008 at 10:39 AM.