Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 2nd July 2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Default dom: Old vivariums. (Read 218 times)

dom

Old vivariums.
« Thread Started on 18 Mar, 2008, 9:59 »6x2x2 feet terrarium for my Oriental Whip snake and Bronze Back snake. With venus fly trap, Sarra, N.gracilis and some wild orchid.

4x2x1.5feet aludarium.

Moved the whole mountain into an aquarium! Nope. Just a 1.5feet aquarium with mosses. Good for Dosera and Pinguicula.

2x2x2 feet froggie tank. Growing with some wild orchids.

5.5inch long x 4.5inch depth x 6inch heigh.
Emersed hair grass from the Perak. Emersed spagnum moss from oil palm plantation.

1 x 1 x 1 feet tank with ferns, mosses and wild orchid.

1feet height and half a feet wide nano tank with N.gracilis.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.comartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: Old vivariums.
« Reply #1 on 18 Mar, 2008, 10:10 »Hi Dom,
Wow, nice vivariums u have there. Wish one is in my bedroom so that i can stare it all day long
Dom, how do u manage the plants in the vivarium? i mean, surely it will be overgrown one day, isnt it? or thats the maximum size of the plant u use? How do u manage to 'ask' the plants to grow very, very slow?
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]dom

« Reply #2 on 18 Mar, 2008, 10:17 »
Quote: Hi Dom,
Wow, nice vivariums u have there. Wish one is in my bedroom so that i can stare it all day long
Dom, how do u manage the plants in the vivarium? i mean, surely it will be overgrown one day, isnt it? or thats the maximum size of the plant u use? How do u manage to 'ask' the plants to grow very, very slow?

Hi,
Thank you for the comment. You need to do the trimming sometime. Some plants are growing slow. Like mosses. It won't grow tall. But it will grow very thick. So, you need to take them out and replant again. Those over grown will be pulled out. Very easy job.
The only thing you need to take care about is the air-circulation, humidity and lighting. Btw, only those species able to take high temperature can be grown. Due to the warm weather we have here. Don't try to get the highland species and grow. You will not success. Unless it was grown at the lowland for quite sometime and adopted to the warm temperature.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.comtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 18 Mar, 2008, 15:41 »thx for sharing the pics Dom....wah, snakes, froggies...heheh. the only reptile i had were salamanders from China. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #4 on 18 Mar, 2008, 17:30 »Thanks for sharing dom. Can you share with me about your lightings. What lightings you use etc. I want to improve my CP grow chamber. Thanks Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistdom

« Reply #5 on 18 Mar, 2008, 17:43 »I am using FL and PLL. All of the tubes are 36W with 6500K. But the Sarra and VFT inside the 6footer were not growing so well. Guess the lighting was placing too high and it is not enough for them. If you want to have something close to sun light. Get the Metal Halide. There are 6500K, 8000K, 10000K, 14000K and 20000K bulb. Suggest you to get the 8000K bulb. As plants are growing well under 8000K. No matter it is aquatic plant or terrestrial plants.
But please be careful that. MH generate very high heat. Personally I saw a mosquito flying under a 14,000K MH. The mosi burn up immediately. So, don't trim your CP under MH. The lighting will burn up your cell or your skin. I am using a 8000K MH, tried to trim my plants under this MH. I can feel the heat and feeling pain within a minute.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.commarigoldsfail21

« Reply #6 on 19 Mar, 2008, 9:23 »Very impressive vivariums Don, I agree with what Artificialive said, wish I could stare at them all day. Btw, have you ever tried raising dart frogs in any of them? It looks like dart frogs would do well in your "nano tank."
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggeddom

« Reply #7 on 19 Mar, 2008, 9:39 »Hi marigoldsfail21,
It is kind of hard and expensive to get a pair of dart frog in Malaysia. Saw a pair was selling at RM550. Which is around USD152. Ended up I am keeping the White Tree Frog.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.commarigoldsfail21

« Reply #8 on 19 Mar, 2008, 9:44 »O, wow that's pricy. Usually around here they sell for between 25USD and 90USD.
(sorry I mispelled your name)
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedmarigoldsfail21

« Reply #9 on 19 Mar, 2008, 9:50 »Of course, that's for individual frogs. Pairs are more valuable since they can produce more offsprong. Do you remember what species of dart frogs that you saw that were being sold were? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggeddom

« Reply #10 on 19 Mar, 2008, 10:19 »It is Dendrobates auratus. Green and dark brown in color... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.commarigoldsfail21

« Reply #11 on 19 Mar, 2008, 11:50 »I've seen juvenile individuals of that species sold for betwwen $35-$45. It's too bad the're more expensive over there. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggeddom

« Reply #12 on 19 Mar, 2008, 11:55 »Too bad. I can't get this price in Malaysia. Because have to go through few middle men. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com