Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Default laxgoal: newbie having some problems, Help save my plants!

laxgoal

newbie having some problems, Help save my plants!
« Thread Started on Mar 18, 2008, 11:35am »
As some of you may know I am a beginning CP enthusiast. This is really starting to get embarresing, seeing as none of my plants look too healthy right now. I am constantly researching but coming up almost blank. Unfortunately, It seems as though my plants are dying on me. I have no idea what to do! here is my venus and p. primuliflora... they kinda look like they are about to give out... any help would be so much appreciated. It almost looks like some mold is accumulating on some of the leaves of the ping, and i have no idea whats going on with the venus fly trap. I dont want my ****es to die!!

ANY suggestions would be muchas appreciated!

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged laxgoal

Re: newbie having some problems, Help save my plan
« Reply #1 on Mar 18, 2008, 11:36am »
Oh yeah, the green stuff around them is just some moss for decoration...
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #2 on Mar 18, 2008, 12:17pm »
Hi laxgoal, how much light and water are the plants receiving?
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
laxgoal

« Reply #3 on Mar 18, 2008, 12:20pm »
I water them maybe 2-3 times a week always making sure there is some water at the bowwom of the bowl. I think I may have been over watering though. I'm not so sure about sunlight. Where I live, sun is not so consistent. some days there is plenty, otheres there is barely any. I keep them on a window sill with south sun.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged italoamericano

« Reply #4 on Mar 18, 2008, 12:56pm »
Hi laxgoal,

Maybe your Venus Flytrap could still be in dormancy? Generally, when the VFT is in dormancy, it is a rosette(growing close to the ground) growing plant. When it comes out of dormancy, the leaves will start growing straight into the air. I say generally because there are some cultivors that always grow close to the ground.

To play it safe, when you water your Venus Flytrap using the tray method, let the water soak in the tray for 30 minutes with the VFT inside. After 30 minutes, empty the tray and put your VFT back into the tray without water. Feel the soil next time you water and only water if the soil is wet not soggy. By doing this you will prevent root rot. I'm not saying your VFT has it but this is a good way to prevent it. Generally, most owners kill their VFT due to root rot. By giving a VFT too much water, it thinks that it must keep growing and expands all it's energy trying to grow, instead of storing it inside the rihzone, and dies. I hope this helps!

Giovanni

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged arvin555

« Reply #5 on Mar 18, 2008, 1:35pm »
I don't consider myself a VFT expert, but actually I don't see anything wrong with your VFT. Kindly please point out in the picture why you are concerned? Yellowing and blackening of older leaves is normal, as per some leaves in the photo, usually the traps yellow and blacken first. In my opinion as long as there are new small leaves coming out, then your plant is still okay. I see some in the photo. How long have you been keeping your VFT?

On the other hand, your reply that you don't know about your sun, is not so positive, VFTs as you know needs good and lots of sun, so please do try to find a place that will give it good sun.

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged marigoldsfail21

« Reply #6 on Mar 19, 2008, 5:30am »
Laxgoal, this time of year is the time when Venus fly traps are supposed to be dormant for the winter. They tend to slow down in growth and some of their leaves die off. Your plants are trying to go dormant because of lower light levels, but since you have them inside, where it is warm, they are less healthy, and more likely to rot. I would suggest giving them less water and after the last frost, put them outside so you can leave them outside for next winter. I would also highly suggest that you cut off any developing flowerstalks untill the plants are healthy again.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #7 on Mar 26, 2008, 4:47pm »
I used to grow P. primuliflora. I had all mine potted in a peat/perlite mix, and they all rotted. After my last one died, I found out that they are prone to rot. Whoops! Be careful with letting them sit in water/watering too much.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNatura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
bifurcatum

« Reply #8 on Mar 26, 2008, 8:55pm »

Quote:I used to grow P. primuliflora. I had all mine potted in a peat/perlite mix, and they all rotted. After my last one died, I found out that they are prone to rot. Whoops! Be careful with letting them sit in water/watering too much.

I don't think so.
All my primuliflora potted in peat and perlite, and they do very well. Sometime they even submerge in water after rain.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged jeff1u

« Reply #9 on Mar 27, 2008, 12:06am »
Hmmm... From what I see. There are some new traps growing.

But at the same time. I worry about the amount of sunlight you give. Cos VFT needs a lot alot of Sunlight, unless you are rich enough to get artificial lighting for it which will increase your electric bill.
From your message, your VFT may go into dormancy mode. You must be careful of your watering. It may cause root rot too. Reduce your watering. Make sure the soil media is not too damp or dry. Put it somewhere dark.

But.... I have a strange feeling. Did you pot your Ping and VFT and other CPs in the same pot/setup????

Or... I will say now you try to take another picture to show us the whole pot.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged italoamericano

« Reply #10 on Mar 27, 2008, 1:26am »
Laxol,

Do you mind posting an updated picture? A new picture will probably help us determine if your VFT is in dormancy. Also, to play it safe, make sure your VFT is not in standing water.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged