Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Old 2nd June 2011, 08:25 PM

Exclamation Help needed - Problem with my VFT

One of my red VFTs is producing deformed and unsuccessful trap. Pls advise if you've seen this before. Thx in advance.

Old 2nd June 2011, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Help needed - Problem with my VFT

Gratzz its going into dormancy....
now just start slowly put it under shades .......
and finally into the fridge with some LFS around its roots...
be sure to keep the LFS moist not wet....and check it every week to prevent fungi growth..
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:17 PM

It may be hard to conclude dormancy with single deformed leaf. If you have taken photo during its best, compare against how it looks now. A sleeping plant has leaves withering faster than new leaves replacing them.

Once you are sure it goes dormant, either fridge it, or keep it on drier side. I tried both ways. To me, both methods suffer similar fatality rate. I am still learning to perfect the techniques. Fungi tends to grow if fridged. And root rot is common using dry dormancy.

Good luck!
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:35 AM

Is deformed leaves a sign of dormancy? Mine having that sign (black leaves a lot and traps are crooked, not sure if it consider deformed....) plus getting smaller leaves so i assume it lack food (All traps were clean!!) but once i feed it, it getting normal. Am i 'waking' it up? should i introduce dormancy now? Sry alpiner for hijacking post .
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy0123 View Post
Is deformed leaves a sign of dormancy? Mine having that sign (black leaves a lot and traps are crooked, not sure if it consider deformed....) plus getting smaller leaves so i assume it lack food (All traps were clean!!) but once i feed it, it getting normal. Am i 'waking' it up? should i introduce dormancy now? Sry alpiner for hijacking post .
No. That's good info. My condo is scarce of critters unless raining season. Since pass weeks has been dry, it may be hungry. No harm trying to feed it.
The other possibility is window cleaning solution that may accidentally hit the VFT. Our part time maid was here last weekend. Not sure whether VFTs are that sensitive. Need inputs from sifus here.
If all attempts fail to improve, then no choice have to tah-pao and put into fridge.
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:17 PM

I don't think you need to send VFTs into dormancy. And that VFT looks more like it lacks something, either light or water. If you want to do dormancy, use moist LFS and wrap the roots BUT not the rhizome. Then, put it into the fridge with a plastic container. What I did with my sarracenia purpurea was bring out the container everyday and open the cover for 3 hours in a shady area. I have experienced that leaving the plant in the fridge for 2 months + seems to kill it(lost my purpurea to this last time). If my guess is correct, in the wild, VFTs, sarras and CPs that need dormancy will at least have a temperature and photoperiod increase for a few hours during the winter.

Also, exposing the plant to some warmth and sunlight will actually prevent fungus and rot from setting in. The result? My S. purpurea was in the fridge for 2 and a half months and using this technique, it's alive and starting to pitcher again. I would say that this technique would certainly work with VFTs. One drawback is that everytime you expose the dormant plant to outside conditions, the LFS will dry slowly, so you will need to moist it once in a while. It's ok if you did not bring out the plant from the fridge for two-three days. Actually, you may keep the plant in the fridge indefinitely, just expose it to some outside conditions once in a while. Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!