Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Default rajah: Increasing RH in Ultra Hi-Land Mini Fridgerium (Read 257 times)

rajah

Increasing RH in Ultra Hi-Land Mini Fridgerium
« Thread Started on 26 Jul, 2007, 14:19 »OK, I'm going to receive a small-sized N. aristolochioides soon, so here's what I have done so far:

- I found an old mini-fridge and modified the door so now I have (more-or-less) a fridgerium with two pieces of glasses spaced at 3 cm in between. That double glass is supposed to catch the sunlight while keeping heat exchange at the minimum.

This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.

- Temp inside the fridge: daytime 28-30 C, night time 14-15 C. I can change the temp setting to a lower or higher position so I dont think I'll have problem with temp.

- The only problem is low humidity, lack of air movement and lack of space. Humidity inside the fridge is only 10-20% at night and 40% in the afternoon.

Any idea on how I can make the humidity up to about 60%? Other growers use some kind of fogger inside their fridge, but I think they are too large to put inside my fridge.

How about this one, is there any possible flaw? Any better idea?:

I will be satisfied if i can just put there one aristolochioides plant as I notice that this species doesnt take so much space.

PS:
- My climate is intermediate equatorial (680 m asl) having temps of 18 - 33 C and high humidity
- The freezer's position is somewhat annoying, but I can move it to the back if needed

The fridge again, shown from different angle:

This image is reduced by 7%, click it to view full size.

This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul, 2007, 17:58 by rajah »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedrajah

Re: Increasing RH in Ultra Hi-Land Mini Fridgerium
« Reply #1 on 26 Jul, 2007, 18:04 »OK I'm gonna make it simple q: How can one kick some water fog from outisde to inside a cold room (fridge) without losing the fog because of the condensation (i.e., the fog turned into water droplets)

If that's not possible I will simply place a box of water in the fridge and blow the water using computer fan inside the fridge.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedfauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #2 on 27 Jul, 2007, 2:06 »Hi Rajah,

Maybe you can get some ideas from David website below.

https://archive.petpitcher.net/terrarium.html

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
kltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #3 on 27 Jul, 2007, 10:59 »Rajah,

Since this is a closed system, you will always get condensation. Make sure you have a tray at the bottom to collect water. The best way is to re-cycle the condensed water. One-way I can think of is to use the mist-generator that is sold in the aquarium shops. Those I seen in the aquarium only have mist three iinch high. That means you still need a fan to blow/or suck the mist up.

Good luck.

Choong
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedrajah

« Reply #4 on 27 Jul, 2007, 20:00 »Thanks all, here are a some more ideas :

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedrajah

« Reply #5 on 27 Jul, 2007, 20:04 »Sorry the second pic is my friend's (Syx) idea, those of you who are not familiar with Malay/Indonesian here's the translation:

"Pompa" = pump
"Penyekat Panas" = heat isolator.
"Pergerakan udara" = air movement.
"Kulkas" = fridge.
"Air" = water
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #6 on 30 Jul, 2007, 9:39 »I think the fan would not be very appripriate in the enclosure. The humidity will cause the fan to short-curcuit in a few days. Tried that, wasted a brand new fan. Perhaps what you can do is just to buy an aquarium air pump and pump air into the water. Use the fine air stone used for fish thanks. When the air breaks out of the water it will create humiduity in your enclosure. That also creates some air movement. On top of that it keeps the water in the container fresh with the air pumped into it. Or else after a few days, it'll smell because bateria grows in it.

Perhaps instead of the tall round container for the water use a flat square plate about 2-3 inches high. Place a plastic drain cover on top of the tray to allevate the plant from the water. pump air into the water in this tray. That way you also save on growing space.

On second thought, since the space is so small, you might not need to so anything to increase the humidity. Once you place the potted plant inside, condensation from the wet media and plant would give enough humidity to the plant. Problem is air circulation. Perhaps just place the air pump hose in the tank with no water.

You've got to try out and see and adjust as you go along.

How about lighting? Are you placing a spot light outside of the tank pointing in? I think thats the only way to do it. Not enough space in the tank and the humidity will short-curcuit the lights unless you buy waterproof casing. Also I think the enclosure is too small to place the lighting inside. The heat will spoil your fridge. The fridge have to work extra hard to cool it.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul, 2007, 9:48 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistrajah

« Reply #7 on 30 Jul, 2007, 18:45 »Hi David thanks for your thoughts, its getting so excited for me

As for the lighting, I will place the fridge outside so the sunlight should get into the glass making an angle, will that be sufficient?.

This should only be for awhile, at least until I can save enough buck to buy me a bigger fridge such as those showcase fridges for keeping softdrinks cool (I know I sound like a freak ). Perhaps I can save my next-to-come aristo for 3 months before it's got a new home.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul, 2007, 18:51 by rajah »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #8 on 2 Aug, 2007, 9:07 »Sorry, did not see your reply until today. Is it morning, afternoon or evening sun you are talking about? Just worried that there will not be enough sunlight for the plant inside. But you need to try out and see. Every terrarium and grow chamber is different.

You're not the only freak I've also been thinking of getting a refrigerator and convert it to a cold terrarium. Hey... great minds think alike, haa, haa...
« Last Edit: 2 Aug, 2007, 9:08 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistrajah

« Reply #9 on 2 Aug, 2007, 20:03 »Hi David, that's why its good to share this thing to this forum instead of to my wife ahahahaha!

The back room is an open room that is used to dry our clothes so its like receiving at least 5 hours of sunlight. In the dry season like this, the clothes can dry in just half a day. There is a transparant polycarbonate roof above to avoid rain and to filter the direct sunlight coming in.