Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Other Plants > Foliage Plants

Foliage Plants Palm, ferns, vines, trees, woody plants, grasses, ground covering plants, etc.

Old 8th July 2009, 03:07 PM
Advisor

Default Re: What hoya?

Oh! this is bad news..........guess it'll go to trash pile sooner or latter.
Old 8th July 2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Advisor

Purely in the interest of the environment...you can put it in MY trash pile anytime!

~Shawn
Old 8th July 2009, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Mine's closer, even pick the "trash" from your place to be sowed into my trash heap.

Seriously Andy, I think there is nothing wrong with the plant. I can safely presume, your plant, Shawn's and Paphioboy's are from the same mother bush. Maybe the condition is not right that is all.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:47 PM
Advisor

OK.....both of you will inherit 50% and 50% of my plant when I'm through it.

BA, perhaps one day I'll visit your 'trash heap'. Who knows I might find some 'gold' there.

Shawn, I find they are the same after comparing with your pic. Thanks again for the ID. As for the orange tint, probably because I took the photos early in the morning rather in the midday sun.
Old 8th July 2009, 11:37 PM
Senior Advisor

Thanks Andy! Well, after looking at mine again tonight (finally found it in the greenhouse at the other nursery) I'm remembering that mine was given a "probable" ID of H. guppyi, so it probably IS different than yours!

After looking at it this evening I realize that it is well ready to have cuttings made from it (probably 3-4 pieces...I want 2, so that leaves one each for you and yctan118 if you guys want to trade a little? I'll root mine up in sphagnum and they should be ready in 1 -1 1/2 months.
~Shawn

Tomorrow I'll take my camera with, while it's not blooming, the leaves were pretty distinctive.

Here's a H. guppyi picture and a link to a friend of mine's site in Hawaii. She has put together a really neat "Photo Compendium" on hoyas;

Check those you want to see and check the plant/flower view
http://www.bigislandgrowers.com/ghp/...?zz=START+OVER
Old 9th July 2009, 12:24 AM
Advisor

I think I'm getting more confused here......OK. After doing much switching in between webpages for all those picts, I find the petals of cv. Ruthie is broader and have shorter valleys compared to guppyi. The coloration in guppyi is more reddish rather than in cv. Ruthie. What's the size of the flower for guppyi? cv. Ruthie measured abt approx. 25mm. There are less flower per each clump in cv. Ruthie compared to guppyi but I think this is rather subjective depending on the condition of the plant. The guppyi leaves are more elongated compared to oval shape from cv. Ruthie.......what do you think? The ones we have is Ruthie or guppyi??

Do welcome a cutting from you but I don't have many hoyas....archiboldiana? Do you have this?

AT
Old 9th July 2009, 08:42 AM

The first one Shawn showed is cv Ruthie.
The second one Shawn showed (from his friend in Hawaii) is a species called guppyi.

I believe cv Ruthie is a hybrid. so far i found that there are 2 types of colour for cv Ruthie (see the colour of mine and Shawn are different than Andy's). May be one of them is called different name.
This is mine:

Shawn,
I would love to swap with you. Where are you? P Msia or Thailand?
We can PM to continue this conversation.

Andy, PaphioBoy and Bactrus,
I have seen this plant blooming furiously in CH (highland). I have also seen this plant blooming at Ukay Nursery in Ampang. I think may be cooler night temp will induce it to bloom? It may even be a seasonal bloomer?
I am not sure.
Old 9th July 2009, 11:19 PM

Mine has never bloom since i brought it 1 year ago.
It grow like weed but not flower
Old 9th July 2009, 11:26 PM
Advisor

YC, your plant really looks like mine. Just that the color more reddish. I think I put my plant at a shady area. that's why the color is rather pale. Thank you guys for your input. I will see how it turn out to be.