Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Default kianliang87: Question about Humidity (Read 205 times)

kianliang87

Question about Humidity
« Thread Started on 18 Mar, 2008, 13:31 »Hello to all Grand Masters here again,

Newbie here have a question about humidity. Hopefully you can spare some light. . I'd read article by David about how to germinate Drosera seeds. But i dont understand the humidity part. How do we measure the "%" of humidity? I know i have alot of questions to ask. Hehe. If there is any article or previous post that can answer this question. Please post the link here ok? Thanks in advance for your patience.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.tarence
Global Moderator

Re: Question about Humidity
« Reply #1 on 18 Mar, 2008, 14:23 »For me,i just keep the drosera seeds in a closed almost airtight see-thru container. i leave water in there about 1/4 the pot height. expose to bright area but no direct sunlite. slowly introduce to sunlite when seedlings appear.

but never let medium dry out.

what are you trying to germinate plse ?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #2 on 18 Mar, 2008, 16:53 »You will need to buy a hygrometer if you want to know exactly how high the humidity is. You can get them in pet shops or hardware shops and it will costs you around RM25 to RM60.

However, if you just want to germinate drosera seeds, don't waste the money. Just do as what Tarence suggested. In that condition humidity would be above 80%.

« Last Edit: 21 Mar, 2008, 8:57 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistkianliang87

« Reply #3 on 18 Mar, 2008, 20:38 »Ok, i am trying to germinate drosera seeds , if i get some from David. And also VTF if i get some from Tarence. Yea, not planning to invest much for the first time. Will try to DIY or recycle everything i can, other than the moss and the pelite. Because i am still studying. Haha, dont have much money to spend though.
Thanks for the advice.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 20 Mar, 2008, 17:49 »I think the correct device to measure air humidity is hygrometer, not hydrometer
I once made a mistake asking for hydrometer at a petshop and the person showed me sumthing to do with marine aquariums. what a shame hihihi
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]kianliang87

« Reply #5 on 20 Mar, 2008, 20:48 »If I am going to plant droseras in air-cond room(7pm-8am air cond operating hour). What is the effect of air-cond to the humidity of the air? Do i need to cover up my plants with plactics to maintain the humidity?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 20 Mar, 2008, 21:25 »Kian Liang,
How do u intend to grow ur droseras? is it in a terrarium, or just a rack with lightings?
The humidity conditions will be different, i believe.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]kianliang87

« Reply #7 on 20 Mar, 2008, 22:13 »This image is reduced by 29%, click it to view full size.

I think after resizing, the photo doesn't look clear. Pls click on the picture.

Planning to make something that looks like the picture above to put it in my room. Does it help? Are the holes too big?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.kianliang87

« Reply #8 on 20 Mar, 2008, 22:18 »Another question is,
If i am going to use 2 PLL for the lightings of the plants. Should i put the light outside of the tank or inside? If i put it inside, will the evaporate water and highly humid air damage the light bulb or the wiring?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.David
Administrator

« Reply #9 on 21 Mar, 2008, 9:04 »Sorry about the typo mistake on the spelling hygrometer. Amended it incase someone read it without reading Artificialive coments and will buy the wrong thing.

Anyway, just to share my experience growing Droseras indoors under artificial lights. They do not do well for me when grown in an enclosed terrarium. They need some air flow.

You are right. The humidity might damage the lighting and wiring. It would also be better to put the lightings outside the tank. That way if temperatures go up because of the lightings you can place a computer fan to blow across the tank inbetween the lighting and the glass top of the tank. This would reduce temperatures a few degrees for you.

If you don't want to spend so much money modifying the tank (cutting the ventilation holes) you can place 1 or 2 aquarium air hose in the tank to pump fresh cool air in the tank instead.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistkianliang87

« Reply #10 on 21 Mar, 2008, 11:27 »Thanks for your advice David,
If the lighting is put outside the tank, the lights will have to pass through the glass before reaching the plants rite? Then the intensity will be less rite? Hmm...Headache...hehe

Is there any other way to plants the droseras in an air-cond room? Just with the lights and the plant(not covered with anything), then put a big tray of water underneath the pot for water to evaporate to increase the humidity. Do you think that this is possible?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.David
Administrator

« Reply #11 on 25 Mar, 2008, 14:45 »I don think so it will effect light intensity if the light goes through the glass of the tank. Afterall the glass is clear rite? I think heat is a bigger problem.

Your suggestion in yoru second paragraph might work. You'll have to test it out and see. I have a grow area where my lightings are just placed on top of the plants without a fish tank.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistkianliang87

« Reply #12 on 25 Mar, 2008, 16:44 »Ok, thanks ya. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.milossula

« Reply #13 on 25 Mar, 2008, 20:35 »Glass 3mm have ~10% absorbance:
This image is reduced by 17%, click it to view full size.

Milos

Quote: Thanks for your advice David,
If the lighting is put outside the tank, the lights will have to pass through the glass before reaching the plants rite? Then the intensity will be less rite? Hmm...Headache...hehe

Is there any other way to plants the droseras in an air-cond room? Just with the lights and the plant(not covered with anything), then put a big tray of water underneath the pot for water to evaporate to increase the humidity. Do you think that this is possible?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMilos Sula