Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Orchids

Orchids Everything about plants in the Orchidaceae family

Old 6th November 2010, 11:27 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Trying not to kill my orchid..

Quinn, phals are pretty fast growers. All you have to do is keep it warm and moist. They do NOT like the cold. They should grow well indoors (near a bright kitchen window for example). The only problem I see is I think you're plant is potted kinda 'high' in the pot. New roots might not grow from the exposed stem if the surrounding air is dry. Is it possible to repot the plant and reposition it so that it is sitting lower?
Old 6th November 2010, 11:30 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphioboy View Post
Quinn, phals are pretty fast growers. All you have to do is keep it warm and moist. They do NOT like the cold. They should grow well indoors (near a bright kitchen window for example). The only problem I see is I think you're plant is potted kinda 'high' in the pot. New roots might not grow from the exposed stem if the surrounding air is dry. Is it possible to repot the plant and reposition it so that it is sitting lower?
This is how low I pot my phal seedlings (front of picture) and to show how fast they grow (3-inch plastic pots):
At the beginning of this year:

Recently (they are almost reaching flowering size, should flower next year):
Old 6th November 2010, 11:34 PM
Global Moderator

Note: Healthy phalaenopsis roots appear slivery-grey with green or purplish tips.
Old 7th November 2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Note: Healthy phalaenopsis roots appear slivery-grey with green or purplish tips.

Those pictures are very helpful! I covered the roots a bit more after I got the first couple responses on this thread, I'll take an updated picture tomorrow, I think though after seeing these pictures that I probably just need to get a deeper pot. I'm using bark and perlite, is that okay or would you reccomend something different?
Old 7th November 2010, 11:31 AM
Global Moderator

Bark and perlite should be okay. Best to use medium-coarse grade bark and perlite as phals have quite thick roots and to prevent the medium breaking down too soon (especially when using a deep pot). If using small bark then water sparingly. Once a week/once every 2 weeks (depending on your humidity) should be enough until it puts out new roots.
Old 11th November 2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Bark and perlite should be okay. Best to use medium-coarse grade bark and perlite as phals have quite thick roots and to prevent the medium breaking down too soon (especially when using a deep pot). If using small bark then water sparingly. Once a week/once every 2 weeks (depending on your humidity) should be enough until it puts out new roots.

Okay, I'll start watering it less, I'm also making sure it stays fairly warm, since it's getting around 35 degrees at night here, it's in my room now which is always at least 60 or so. Do you think I should get a deeper pot? this is after I put more bark in.

Old 11th November 2010, 10:24 PM
Global Moderator

??? Do you mean Fahrenheit..? Phals do best between 20-30 degrees Celsius...Which is WARM. The pot is big enough. Is it me or do the leaves look on the yellowish side? Or is it because of the camera flash?
Old 12th November 2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
??? Do you mean Fahrenheit..? Phals do best between 20-30 degrees Celsius...Which is WARM. The pot is big enough. Is it me or do the leaves look on the yellowish side? Or is it because of the camera flash?
Yes I meant fahrenheit, sorry I didn't specify >.< our winter is going to be especially cold this year, so I'll do my best but unfortunately our climate is pretty lame. The leaves are not very healthy, but the yellow tone is flash, when I look at them they're green, if somewhat abused looking.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:29 AM
Global Moderator

Ok... Keep the phal just moist enough to prevent the leaves from desiccating and to encourage new roots to grow and search for moisture. Water more when the weather gets warmer and you can see new leaves developing.
Old 12th November 2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Ok... Keep the phal just moist enough to prevent the leaves from desiccating and to encourage new roots to grow and search for moisture. Water more when the weather gets warmer and you can see new leaves developing.

Okay, thank you so much for all of your advice =)