Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Orchids

Orchids Everything about plants in the Orchidaceae family

Old 4th November 2010, 01:44 PM

Default Trying not to kill my orchid..

So, I've had this orchid for several years. It was given to me at a funeral, and I've never really been very good at caring for orchids (I do much better with carnivores, even fussy ones). It hasn't flowered since then but I'm pretty sure it was purple, the kind you often see in the grocery store. I'd really like to stop neglecting it, so I'd really appreciate any advice.

[img][/img]

I repotted it as a start, in a light mix of bark and perlite. There was some mold in the old bark, so I left this very airy to avoid that in the future.
Thanks, I'd really appreciate any help, like I said I've never been very good with orchids, and I'd like to learn.

Last edited by bactrus; 4th November 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 4th November 2010, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Trying not to kill my orchid..

It a phaleanopsis. Just keep the roots moist but beware of root rot so not too much water. Fertilise once a week with weak foliar fertiliser, granular fertiliser may be used but only a tiny amount otherwise root burn occurs. Requires a "chilling" before it will flower provided the plant is mature enough. Sit the pot in a south facing window. If summer sun is too strong, provide with about 50% shade.

Use to collect this type of orchids till I realise it will only flower for me once a year here in Malaysia (without artificial enviroment). CP is still an easier option as it thrive on neglect. Hehe...
Old 4th November 2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
So, I've had this orchid for several years. It was given to me at a funeral, and I've never really been very good at caring for orchids (I do much better with carnivores, even fussy ones). It hasn't flowered since then but I'm pretty sure it was purple, the kind you often see in the grocery store. I'd really like to stop neglecting it, so I'd really appreciate any advice.

[img][/img]

I repotted it as a start, in a light mix of bark and perlite. There was some mold in the old bark, so I left this very airy to avoid that in the future.
Thanks, I'd really appreciate any help, like I said I've never been very good with orchids, and I'd like to learn.

Aside from what Bactus has already stated.... may I add that only water it
when the media is turning dry.... too avoid overwatering and eventual
root rot. Also keep it in a bright place but out of the suns rays. Also I
would pot it deeper so that those aerial roots are in the media. Good
luck.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:50 AM

Thanks! I'll have to learn about fertilizers now, since I am used to cps they've never played a big part in my life. Is it true that you should avoid using fertilizer with urea on orchids?
Old 5th November 2010, 08:31 AM

Cant say coz i seldom fertilize my orchids, Im lazy actually so i just put a few pieces of
osmocote in their pot.
Old 5th November 2010, 02:17 PM
Global Moderator

Hi Quinn. I honestly don't think urea will do much harm to orchids. The point made when most people suggest using urea-free fertiliser is that microbes are needed to break down urea before it can be taken up by the plant. The roots of your phal don't seem particularly healthy, so I would avoid fertilising it until it has made new roots.

Bactrus, phal violacea, cornu-cervi etc with the zigzaggy spikes bloom whole year round...
Old 5th November 2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphioboy View Post
Hi Quinn. I honestly don't think urea will do much harm to orchids. The point made when most people suggest using urea-free fertiliser is that microbes are needed to break down urea before it can be taken up by the plant. The roots of your phal don't seem particularly healthy, so I would avoid fertilising it until it has made new roots.

Bactrus, phal violacea, cornu-cervi etc with the zigzaggy spikes bloom whole year round...

Okay that's good to know, if I take better care of it how long do you think that could take?