Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Sarracenia

Sarracenia Everything about American Pitcher Plants

Old 11th November 2009, 10:24 PM

Default Dividing Sarracenias

Hi

Is it recommended to divide Sarracenias when the there are two or three plant crowns close together if the crowns do not pull apart easily?

If so, do you think it would be all right to just break them apart or do you suggest using a knife?

Or would it be better to wait for another year or two until there are more crowns and the they may pull apart more easily?

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Dividing Sarracenias

Don't know but my stevensii have alot of crowns
Old 12th November 2009, 11:22 AM

i never use knife to divide my sarracenia.
if there's only two crown, i suggest wait untill it had more crown.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:36 AM

Hi

Thanks for the letters.

I just read in Adrian Slack's book that it is best to wait until there is at least 4 crowns.

After division, do you suggest that the plants should be given less hot sun than before division?

Also, I may buy some second hand pots from a nursery that may be dirty. Is it worth the trouble to sterilize the pots by possibly dipping in a bleach solution or would just a quick rinse be all right?

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:49 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

You should provide some shade to the pots after division to reduce the shock to the plants. As for the second hand pots I would suggest leaving in a bleach solution for 24 hours to prevent the spread of pests or diseases. It is far easier to prevent the disease this way then it is to get rid of the disease after it enters your collection.
Old 14th November 2009, 04:45 PM

Hi

I potted and divided the plants and currently have them under 50% shade cloth. I hope that would be enough bearing in mind that they were in full sun before. Is there a way to accurately tell if the plant is under stress before they experience any harm? The only way I know is to feel if the young shoots are becoming too flexible. If they are more flexible than normal that would indicate that they are partly wilting. If they do wilt slightly could it cause harm? I have the plants sitting in trays of water.

Bear in mind that I have also divided some Venus Fly Traps that are with the Sarracenias.

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.
Old 17th November 2009, 04:49 PM

Hi

Regarding my last question, there is some websites about measuring stress in plants at https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...meta=&aq=f&oq= . However, I am not sure how expensive this equipment is or how easy it is to set up.

It would also be good if there was a shading system that automatically shaded the plants more heavily in hot sunny weather. This would mean that they would not be shaded as much in cool or overcast weather when more light would be better. It would mean a more stable temperature. Do you know of such a system? I am not sure if there is any shading film that increases it's tinting when it gets hotter or the light gets brighter. I have heard that some sunglasses do that. Another way would be a roller blind system that used a motor to unroll the shade cloth when it gets hot. It could be connected to a thermostat.

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:33 PM

Hi

We are in the tropics near Cairns in Australia and it is late spring. Summer begins next month. Is now a good a time as any to divide the Sarracenias?

If you have any suggestions on the question I sent in the last post, please let me know.

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard
Old 20th November 2009, 10:22 PM

Hello, I am your panacea my friend! It is not good for really any CP to be divided in late spring;late winter and early spring is when repotting and dividing off all CP's should be done, otherwise, the plants will be too shocked and will die. If any Cp has 2 or more crowns,shoots, or growth points I recommend that you do divide them, only late winter,early spring though,and before spring growth approaches. Wait for when after they get their rest at the end of the year my friend. Also, pitcher plants thrive in full sun, just like venus flytraps. So if they're acclimated to shade, acclimate them to full sun, and you will see exponential pitcher or trap size.
Old 21st November 2009, 10:10 AM

Hi

Thanks for the letter.

In your first two sentences did you mean to write:
"It is not good for really any CP to be divided now in late spring. Late winter and early spring is when repotting and dividing off all CP's should be done, otherwise, the plants will be too shocked and will die."

If so, it looks as though it would be best to wait until next year.

Regarding the ones that i potted last week I thought about 70% shade cloth would be good. However for the ones that have not been potted they may not need shade cloth. Do you think that this would be the way to go?

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard