Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default David: D. burmanii (Read 687 times)

David
Administrator

D. burmanii
« Thread Started on 6 Mar, 2007, 18:38 »These are the lastest pictures of my D. burmanii that TS gave me. It has grown about 4 times it size since I got it. Soooooo cute. Such a pretty plant. Love it!

Burmaniis grow very well for me under artificial lights.

« Last Edit: 6 Mar, 2007, 18:38 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: D. burmanii
« Reply #1 on 6 Mar, 2007, 19:51 »Hey ... David, your plant showed more red then mine, how come? They like artificial light more then natural light? Let me show you mine when I got the shot. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #2 on 6 Mar, 2007, 23:34 »mine have the same red,grown under natural light. I will get a photo tomorrow

#edited to post photo

These are grown under natural light under nursery shade. Seeds sown in the same pot and already had some germination.

« Last Edit: 7 Mar, 2007, 15:48 by Robert »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedzakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #3 on 6 Mar, 2007, 23:52 »Haha I got a sundew. It's doing great. Looks bigger now. I'll show a pic soon. « Last Edit: 8 Mar, 2007, 17:13 by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcactustts

« Reply #4 on 8 Mar, 2007, 0:04 »Look at mine, they doesn't show that kind of red like you guys' plant had. Why? I put them under direct sunlight with no shades.

TS

This image is reduced by 21%, click it to view full size.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #5 on 8 Mar, 2007, 7:16 »TS it will eventually,but not for long it will show the red. Mine look greenish like yours at first. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #6 on 8 Mar, 2007, 13:31 »TS, remember you saw one of mine all green? t si still green untill today. Funny thing is that it has red colours at the tentacles when it was smaller. Then it just started changed and now the whol plant is all green. However, it looks healthy and has a lot of dews just like yours. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #7 on 8 Mar, 2007, 18:25 »Hey, anyway green is also very beautiful. Actually when I look at your picture closely, the tentacles are pinkish. The one I have that is green is REALLY totally green. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcactustts

« Reply #8 on 11 Mar, 2007, 14:11 »I think I should also show the flower.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSDavid
Administrator

« Reply #9 on 12 Mar, 2007, 12:41 »Beautiful flower. Wow! the flower stalk is long huh. I mean if you compare to the size of the plant. Looks similar to my byblis flower. Just that the byblis one is blue and the stalk is not so long. My intermedia flower stalk is also not so long.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistartificialive

« Reply #10 on 12 Mar, 2007, 13:14 »Yup, the flower stalk must be long enough to avoid the insect (to pollinate the flower) turned to be the prey of the plant. hehe Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]David
Administrator

« Reply #11 on 12 Mar, 2007, 13:56 »That make complete sense. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #12 on 24 Mar, 2007, 8:31 »Hi TS, one of the burmanii you gave me is starting to flower. Saw the flower stalk when I got home from work yesterday. Hope you don't mind, I'm gonna sacrifice this fella for some seeds.

Want to have more burmaniis in my collection. Easy to grow and beautiful. The mother plant is about the size of a 50 cents coin. Should be mature enough to give me a good set of seeds. Hopefully this time I will have better germination from the seeds... fingers cross...

Would be interesting to see if I can keep this plant alive after it flower.

« Last Edit: 24 Mar, 2007, 8:38 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistzakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #13 on 24 Mar, 2007, 11:09 »Hmm just wondering, anyone know what triggers flowering? Does it actually have anything to do with seasons or it just flowers when it feels like it?

Oh also i'm wondering, how much dun does burmanii like? Full sun or bright shade?
« Last Edit: 24 Mar, 2007, 14:40 by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcactustts

« Reply #14 on 25 Mar, 2007, 11:18 »David, of course I don't mind, that's yours now.

Zak, it flower when reach maturity, most probably will die after set seeds. Burmanii like full sun, mine under full sun, protect it from rain with some kind of transparent plastic or class sheet on top of it, or else all dews will be washed away by rain.

Robert, you're right, my plant got redder now!
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSDavid
Administrator

« Reply #15 on 26 Mar, 2007, 8:57 »TS, guess what, yesterday another burmanii gave up a flower stalk. However, i decided to cut it off and just try on one of the burmaniis first. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistzakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #16 on 27 Apr, 2007, 18:29 »For some strange reason my burmanii isn't doing so well... It just started to look worse... I haven't moved it or changed it's conditions at all. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #17 on 27 Apr, 2007, 22:07 »How long have you been growing it in that particular condition? Where do you place it? Can show some pictures? Has it flower before? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistmukaketupat

« Reply #18 on 30 May, 2007, 15:14 »heya all.

the burmanii that david gave us is flowering. the size of the thing is pretty small, probably about and inch and a half but its sending a tall tall stalk now, and it looks soooo tiny. im not very experience at this, but can someone give me a step by step guide how to collect the seeds? or what happens if decide not to? will the seed drop in the sphagnum and just grow by itself? or will it just die?

sorry for many questions. want to know my options.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #19 on 31 May, 2007, 9:20 »Perhaps the other more experience members can give you a better explaination, as I'm still quite new with sundews, but here's my thoughts... The flower will self polinate. Once the flower stalk dries up you can cut the stalk off. The seeds are inside the dried up flowers/pods. Just open the flowers/pods and the tiny dust like seeds will drop out. If you do not collect the seeds, some of it will just drop to the ground/pot, some will be blown away.

What I do is I use a white piece of A4 paper to collect the seeds. Easier to see thsoe tiny seeds in a white background. Careful not to put yor face too near as you breathing would blow the seeds away.

The mother plant might die from flowering as burmaniis are annual plants. In the wild they grow for a season, flower and die. Then the next genration will take over. If you cut off the flower stalk now and don allow it to flower, it will last you for about 2 years according to experienced growers. Mine have not reached two years yet, so this is based on info I've read.

However, I've allowed one of mine to flower twice now and the leaves are dying. Then I quickly fed it with insects. New leaves seems to be growing although smaller. It seem to have revived. Lets see if it survived.
« Last Edit: 31 May, 2007, 9:30 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistmukaketupat

« Reply #20 on 31 May, 2007, 11:06 »heya david

thanks. since i started collecting cp's, our balconys been attracting a lot of insects. so theres no problem there. at the moment about 3 different types of small tiny insect are stuck to the burmanii and its growing fast with a lot of new leaves. i did not expect the burmanii to flower and i will be careful with the flower once its dried up. the spathulata that i got from tarence is also starting to flower. i guess i will do the same with the spathulata as well.

thanks.
Administrator

« Reply #21 on 31 May, 2007, 11:26 »Glad that your plants are doing well for you. Your growing conditions seem to suit them very well. Can post some pictures of your plants at your balcony? Would love to see your plants and growing conditions. « Last Edit: 31 May, 2007, 11:27 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistmukaketupat

« Reply #22 on 31 May, 2007, 17:20 »Remember the liniflora that you gave us? These germinated in 6 days.

Will pass you back the seeds once it starts to flower.
I dont have the latest image of the burmanii yet. Will post that soon.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcosmoking

« Reply #23 on 31 May, 2007, 19:45 »My Byblis liniflora seeds still have not germinated Rather irritating, considering that they're supposed to be an "easy" species Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedzakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #24 on 31 May, 2007, 20:21 »Mine never germinated either... What's wrong? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #25 on 1 Jun, 2007, 9:08 »Same here laa. I've about 7 pots of seeds still waiting to germinate. So frustrating. I tried different mediums, some I place in the refrigerator for a few weeks before sowing, some immediately after the seed pod opens, some I spray with plant hormone, I use different light intensity on them, some wetter medium, some covered, some not covered... hmm, what else I tried.... sigh... None germinated yet.

When I first bought the seeds, out of about 150 seeds only the 3 germinated which is the plants I have now.

TS ones have also germinated. He said about 3-5. I think there might be more now.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun, 2007, 9:09 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #26 on 1 Jun, 2007, 9:14 »ok, lets talk about this under a new thread in the Other Carnivorous plants as this is Sundew section.

http://petpitcher.proboards61.com/index.....read=1180660361
« Last Edit: 1 Jun, 2007, 9:14 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistmukaketupat

« Reply #27 on 8 Jun, 2007, 10:05 »Hi guys

So yesterday morning, one of my burmanii flower bud was opening. In that half hour as i was getting ready for work, it opened rather quickly. But in the evening, when i got home, the flower bud closed itself up again. Does that mean its over? I just wait for it to dry up before collecting the seeds? or something else is happening now?

Attached some photos...

Administrator

« Reply #28 on 8 Jun, 2007, 10:10 »It'll flower every morning for some time before it starts to die. You've got to wait for the flower bud to turn brown before you can collect the seeds.

By the way, very healthy... lots of dews on your plant
« Last Edit: 8 Jun, 2007, 10:10 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on 8 Jun, 2007, 10:25 »Nice healthy specimen.

Usually I trim off the dead leaves at the bottom so that it doesn`t affect the plant in future i.e. become humus. It also tends to leave a stench...but mebbe that attracts insects ? Heheh.

How are your other CPs doing Ezrena ?
« Last Edit: 8 Jun, 2007, 10:39 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedmukaketupat

« Reply #30 on 8 Jun, 2007, 11:10 »Ohhhh, every morning? Ok i guess i'll wait. Since tomorrow is saturday i will get to see how it looks like when its fully bloom,

Ya, memang quite healthy. A lot of new leaves coming up too. Hehe. I give you back the seeds ok?

Tarence, you are right about the stench. I've always thought it was the sphagnum moss. All the other CPs are doing ok. Spatulata is flowering also. So i'm very happy.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on 8 Jun, 2007, 11:41 »Good to know Ezrena. Us CP-ers are at our happiest when our plants are healthy. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on 4 Oct, 2007, 12:58 »David, old thread this but wanted to ask, did your d.burmanii survive after the insects, flowering & new leaves ? mine is turning brown now. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcactustts

« Reply #33 on 5 Oct, 2007, 0:02 »Hi Tarence, What happen to yours? You let them flower non-stop?
I snip off the flower stalk every time I saw it. After repeating three to four times, I'll let them flower once.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTStarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on 5 Oct, 2007, 9:18 »yes, i let then flower non-stop as i thot they`ll die eventually anyway so might as well get seeds. heheh. so i got lots of baby burmanii`s everywhere now but the adult plants a bit weakened. i got about 5-6 flower stalks from each plant over a period of 4 months. just wondering if the adults can recover. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #35 on 7 Oct, 2007, 11:24 »Hi Tarence,

Don't let your plant flower for a while. Snip off all flower stalks. If possible give them some insects to eat and lots of sun and clean water. They should recover. This is what I did to mine and none has died on me yet.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on 8 Oct, 2007, 8:28 »OK David....i won`t allow the d.burmaniis` to flower anymore until they recover...the poor plants only got 3 or 4 green leaves left per plant.