Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:58 PM

Exclamation Advice/Help needed!

Hello everyone!
I'm posting this thread because I have recently run into a problem with my plants. I believe they are being attacked by some kind of pest but haven't been able to clearly identify what it is or how to treat it. I used to grow all my plants in an apartment balcony, but i recently moved to a new home and moved all my plants to a newly built outdoor shadehouse. Since they are now in a garden at ground level and not in a balcony 27 stories high, i think it is reasonable to say that they are more exposed to threats such as pests. Anyways, the following pics will provide examples of the effects that this/these "pests" have caused to the plants:

N. truncata showing a new leaf that shows a clear discoloration and odd looking "bumps" all over the leaf surface.

Newest pitcher on N. sanguinea showing the same type of "bumps" on the surface and noticeable pitcher deformation. "Bumps" and deformities can also be seen on newest leaves.

N. reinwardtiana pitcher and leaf. Notice the indentations and strange bruising on the pitcher. I guess those white spots have something or everything to do with what is going on.

Emerging N. x miranda leaf. You can clearly see the two big "bumps" that have formed on the unopened leaf.

N. macrovulgaris showing great deformation to new growth as well as the the same white spots previously seen on N. reinwardtiana.

N. x red leopard upper pitcher densely covered in the characteristic "bums" that are also clearly visible on the emerging leaf.

Newest growth on the plants seems to be the most highly affected, both leaves and pitchers. Older leaves and pitchers show the same traits but to a lesser degree. I have tried researching with regards to what might be causing this but i may have not identified the problem correctly. I do not want to mention what i think might be happening to avoid biased answers, although i do admit that i am probably wrong and am really not even close. I have tried spraying some of these plants with "garden safe insect spray," which is the only thing i can find in stores here that is relatively nep safe. After several dosages and plenty of time, i have seen no favorable effects caused by the insecticide.

I hope with that after looking at these pictures some of you might be able to help identifying the problem, and even more importantly, recommendations on what to do or use in order to solve it. I really appreciate all the help I can get here, as this is the first time I face a problem like this and it is affecting plenty of plants in my collection.

Looking forward to all your comments and answers. Thank you all very much for your help.

Rick

Grow List