Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Default shawnintland: a few neps shot

shawnintland

A few nep shots
« Thread Started on May 17, 2008, 12:20am »
Well, had the camera out again today so here's a few shots...nothing all that unusual but I'm happy with them! And here's one just in case you thought I was kidding about it getting hard to get out onto my porch;

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 7:41am by shawnintland »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

Re: A few nep shots
« Reply #1 on May 17, 2008, 6:49am »
nice porch, shawn. I see you have the hanging rounded basket, we have the local version which the native used for trapping riverine fish, too.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged shawnintland

« Reply #2 on May 17, 2008, 8:09am »
Hi Robert. Every time I clear the porch of plants (other than germination racks) it just seems to fill up again in a week or two! Yep, I make light fixtures out of the fish traps for use in my landscape jobs. Most of the ones in the pictures are using Tillandsia usenoides but others are covered in Hoyas or Dischidia. If you ever get time, snap a picture or two of the type of trap they make in Borneo, I'm always interested in improving them! Now I have a family on the West coast of Thailand making them for me by the truckload!
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged plantlover

Now I'm getting more experienced

« Reply #3 on May 17, 2008, 9:13am »
WaH!!! Nice porch,shawn. You've got lots of plants.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAaron hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #4 on May 17, 2008, 11:05am »
Hi Shawn, i still see a lot of space on your porch. all your neps look very happy and healthy too.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
sweethalo

« Reply #5 on May 17, 2008, 2:17pm »
Hi Shawn your growing area looks like paradise to me! So nice!

« Reply #6 on May 17, 2008, 4:05pm »

May 17, 2008, 2:17pm, sweethalo wrote:Hi Shawn your growing area looks like paradise to me! So nice!

Thanks Audrey! Well, other than my water bill's...it is! The island is pretty small so our weather is pretty shifty, one week scorching hot and no rain...next monsoon downpours and no sun! I've spent about 7 years on this piece of land trying to create a mini-ecosystem that's a bit more stable (lots and lots and lots of mulch, mini-mist systems, drip irrigation and lots of organic soil amendments) and it's finally reached the point where most of my plants are self replicating like crazy. We have to pull bird's nest ferns out of everything... constantly sneaking onto my neighbors' land and putting them into their trees and on their rocks!

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged sweethalo

« Reply #7 on May 17, 2008, 7:26pm »
I have never been to Koh Samui, but it must be beautiful!... Are you Thai?

BTW, sorry to OT but what other plants do you grow besides neps?

Cheers

Audrey

« Reply #8 on May 18, 2008, 1:42pm »
Hi again Audrey,

Samui IS still beautiful, just getting hard to see it through the billboards and resorts everywhere! No, I was born in the US but moved to Thailand about 15 years ago.

Other plants... Well...it would be easier to just say that I don't have any roses! Really, I have lots of 'strange' species all over the place but pretty much confine my most intense plant craziness to; Hoyas, Neps, Palms, ferns, droseras (only starting) and the bizarre!

Here's a shot of my front stairs;

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged sweethalo

« Reply #9 on May 18, 2008, 2:06pm »
Wow I really love wht you have done at your place!

One day, we hope to be blessed enough to move and retire in Thailand

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged Forum Jump--------------------» Home--------------------» NOTICE BOARD--------------------- ABOUT PETPITCHER FORUM- Announcement--------------------» CARNIVOROUS PLANTS--------------------- Nepenthes --- Nepenthes Articles- Drosera --- Drosera Articles- Dionaea muscipula --- Dionaea muscipula Articles- Sarracenia --- Sarracenia Articles- Pinguicula --- Pinguicula Articles- Cephalotus --- Cephalotus Articles- Utricularia --- Utricularia Articles- Byblis --- Byblis Articles- Heliamphora --- Heliamphora Articles- Other Carnivourous Plants --- Carnivorous Plants Articles- All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants --- All Stuff On CPs Archive- Carnivorous Plants in the Wild- Plant ID corner--------------------» resource--------------------- Where To Get What? --- "Where To Get What" Archive- Book / Movie Review--------------------» members corner--------------------- Introduction- Interaction- Grow List- Projects --- Projects Articles--------------------» market place--------------------- Stuff To Sell- Stuff To Exchange / Give Away- Wanted Stuff- Group Purchase--------------------» PLANTS THAT DO NOT EAT INSECTS--------------------- Non Carnivorous Plants --- Where To Get What? Archive --- Market Place --- Tillandsias and Bromelaids --- Staghorn Fern --- Ant Plants --- Orchids
Click Here To Make This Board Ad-Free