Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default artificialive: CP Books

artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

CP Books
« Thread Started on Dec 22, 2006, 4:18pm » Hey everyone..
anyone got any CP books to recomend?
many of the international CP sites recommend the 'Savage Garden' book..
i know that most of them are wirtten by the authors from europe and US. and in my thoughts, their observation are based on the climates in the western countries..
and what im thinking is that, are their findings and cultivation tips are viable to be implemented in tropical climate?

Link to Post - Back to Top 58.139.248.124[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] David
Administrator

member is online

Re: CP Books
« Reply #1 on Dec 23, 2006, 8:57am » Yes, I would also recommend Savage Garden. It is currently the only book that gives a general and clear cultivation guide to growing cps. It also gives you an understanding of each species. Without that book I would not have known that there are so many other cps in the world.

I guess it's alright eventhough it was written by writers from overseas as CPs besides neps and some sundews are all native to those countries. If we were to grow them, we will have to try and mimic the growing conditions there. That would be the challenge for us in Malaysia.

However, if you are talking about nepenthes, you should get books from Charles Clark and Ch'ien Lee. To my understanding, both of them are the formost authority on neps. I have a few of their books.

Below are the background of these two authors from their books...

Dr. Charles Clarke is a biologist who has been stuying the ecology of neps since 1988. He has a honours degree in Botany (Monash) and Ph.D in Ecosystem Management (UNE). After working in Southeast Asia for the last decade, he moved to Cairns (Australia) in 2003. He is presently studying the neps of Cape York Peninsula.

Ch'ien Lee holds a B. Sc in Biology/Ecology from the university of California Santa Cruz. He has worked as a naturalist in california parks, doing public education on neps including ethnobotany, entomology, and mamal tracking. In 1996 he moved to Sarawak where he spearheaded a Nepenthes propagation programme, including a tissue culture laboratory at malesiana Tropicals. He has travelled widely in Southeast Asia, doing nature photography and continung his field studies of neps.

If the Savgage Garden is "THE" book for cps, then "Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia by Charles Clark" is "THE" book for pitcher plants.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged