Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Default kltower: Growing droseras under the sun (Read 242 times)

kltower
Pioneer Member

Growing droseras under the sun
« Thread Started on 1 Apr, 2008, 14:29 »There is a thread in another forum titled:
"How much sun for sundews"
http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com/ind....read=1176164543

If you have experience growing droseras under the sun in this region (Malaysia, Singapore Thailand), please let us know what species do well and the degree of exposure.

Personally, I have these four species under hot morning-afternoon sun with no ill effects.
1) D. adelae (from piscesilim)
2) D. spathulata (from Tarence)
3) D. intermedia " Cuba" (from piscesilim)
4) D. binata var. multifida (from piscesilim)

The two capensis (Giant and All Red) are doing well under T5 lights in a 2ft tank.

Hope to hear from all the Grandmasters.

Choong
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

Re: Growing droseras under the sun
« Reply #1 on 1 Apr, 2008, 18:21 »I expose them from sunrise to sunset. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #2 on 1 Apr, 2008, 19:40 »Choong, D. spathulata, D. intermedia "Cuba", D. binata var. multifida & D. capensis should all do well under full sun. D. adelae might be a little more fussy but it can be acclimatized to full tropical sun.

all the spp that you have listed are growing well for me under full sun. Rain was causing me problems until i built a little rain shelter.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
David
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 2 Apr, 2008, 13:59 »Ok, I'm out because I do not grow my Droseras outdoors but I have a friend in my neighbourhood who grows her Intermedia Cuba, filiformis and spatulata under direct sun the whole day.

The pots are placed on the hot cement in her garden. A few of you like Fauzi might know her. Her ID is Owl. She don't talk much here but her plants are robust, huge and has many offshoots from the mother plant and they flower profusely.

However, rain is causing some problems with her filiformis making the leaves grow all curly. Other than that the rest are just gorgeous.

« Last Edit: 2 Apr, 2008, 14:03 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistkianliang87

« Reply #4 on 13 Apr, 2008, 22:49 »I'm out of space. My seeds are all growing into plantlet already. And my 4ft aquarium stand modified to put the plants and FL lights is already full. The only way left is to put the plantlet outdoor if i am going to repot them. To be safe,for every single species, i will keep 2 plantlet indoor. The rest of them all go to outdoor. Is this a good idea? Any tips for outdoor planting? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.mukaketupat

« Reply #5 on 29 Apr, 2008, 14:01 »i just moved from apartment to house. at the apartment, they were (burmanii and spathulata) exposed to sun for only 2-3 hours. but now i just leave them all outdoors under the hot sun, rain and all. no problems so far. they seem to get redder which i like. but i leave my ping under the awning, which is bright but doesnt get direct sun. Link to Post - Back to Top Logged