PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Heliamphora

Heliamphora Everything about Sun Pitchers

Old 29th June 2008, 10:50 PM
Technical Administrator

Default David: My new "Pet"

David
« Thread Started on Apr 8, 2008, 9:28am »

Here's my new Heliamphora that I got from Fauzi. Clone from BE...

This is H. heterodoxa x minor

bactrus
« Reply #1 on Apr 8, 2008, 10:18am »

Congratulations. New baby!

tarence

« Reply #2 on Apr 9, 2008, 12:37pm »

very pretty David....is this the lowland variety ? i`m very tempted to get one as well.

plantlover
« Reply #3 on Apr 9, 2008, 4:01pm »

Wow! A Heliamphora!!!! Very cute.

strath76
« Reply #4 on Apr 9, 2008, 4:49pm »

That's a good looking plant you have there David. Hope it aclimatizes for you.

David
« Reply #5 on Apr 9, 2008, 7:16pm »

Hi Strath76,

Thanks. I hope it acclimatise for me too. The clone I got from you isn't doing that well. I think because the conditions were too hot. I've recently shifted it outside. Hope it rejuvenates.

strath76

« Reply #6 on Apr 10, 2008, 4:21am »

I recently took mine out of the container I had them in that was near 100%. They looked to be going very badly and I was almost ready to give up on them whenI noticed a new shot from amongst the carnage. I think they can be tough little things if you persist.

I recently attended a CP society meeting and one of the other growers there bought in his Heliamphora to show that he got at the same time. over the 2 hours that we were there you could visibly see the traps wilting due to the change in humidity.

aliamyz
« Reply #7 on May 21, 2008, 11:12pm »

How beautiful but Fauzi is not selling them in his website.

alienfx

« Reply #8 on May 23, 2008, 1:20pm »

Nice looking plant there...How come i didnt notice it when i was at his stall at subang.

David

« Reply #9 on May 23, 2008, 2:26pm »

He only brought in 5 plants to test the plants and see if they can grow in our climate. I ordered one from him. I don't know if he has sold to anyone else but he told me the rest died.

This plant needs cooler conditions especially at night and very high humidity. At the same time it needs very bright light.

Perhaps if you guys are really interested, you can ask him to bring in again in his coming order with BE, but you'll need to call him and ask. I do not know if he still wants to bring them in.

So far my Heliam is still alive but growth is very slow. But I give it about 80% humidity during the day and about 95% humidity at night. Sometimes at night humidity can be 99% to 100%. I also place the pot in a tray of water so that the roots are kept cool throughout the day.

It is difficult for Fauzi to control the temperature, humidity and sunlight in an open nursery. I think his plants died because of the fluctuatin of humidity throughout the day. Since his nursery is open, humidity can be quite low when the wind blows etc.

Mine only survive (I say "survive" and not thrive) because it is in a controlled environement in a terrarium. I think mine needs more light. However, if I increase light, I will also indirectly increase heat (don have a cooling system). Sometimes when it is very hot at night, I'll place ice cubes around the plant and in the terrarium to keep temperatures down. I realsied this helps. Even in my terrarium, the plant traps will curl a little when it gets too hot. After a little ice and tender loving care, the traps expand back.

Hope this helps you guys consider what to prepare for if you want to get one.
« Last Edit:

alienfx
« Reply #10 on May 24, 2008, 9:57am »

Opsss i guess this plant is not for a newbie like me then since its quite tricky to keep.It does look uniq and beautiful.

plantlover

« Reply #11 on May 24, 2008, 10:02am »

Me too. This plant is beautiful but not suitable for me.

aliamyz

« Reply #12 on May 24, 2008, 1:00pm »

Not interested but still, it looks very attractive.....!

cindy
« Reply #13 on Jun 4, 2008, 4:07pm »

David, try to keep the roots a little drier if the temperature is high. Heliamphora is prone to root rot when it is hot and their roots are in soggy media. The plants enjoy good ventilation, good drainage and cool temperatures, particularly at night.

David
« Reply #14 on Jun 4, 2008, 4:54pm »

Thanks Cindy.

applebee8
« Reply #15 on Jun 5, 2008, 11:44pm »

Congratulations on your new acquisition! It is truly a nice plant and a difficult plant to grow, especially if you have to put ice in the terraruim to cool the temp. Keep us posted!

Last edited by David; 7th October 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 7th August 2008, 01:00 PM
Pioneer

Default Re: David: My new "Pet"

Hello David,
just wanna ask here.. hows ur heli going? hope its in the pink of health!
Old 8th August 2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Not so good. I've been ignoring my CPs for a while now diverting my attention on setting up this new forum and transfering date over from the old forum to the new one.

The media dried up a couple of times so some of the leaves are brown now.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 16th September 2008, 09:51 AM
Advisor

here`s my very tiny pet, which was a gift from a fren. it`s finally got pitchers which open up....howz yours doing david ?

Old 16th September 2008, 10:41 AM

Hi,

Just asking anyone who has a heliamphora where did u get it and is it expensive??????Oh yah david just a little suggestion don't really have do it but why not make a monthly competition for pitcher and plants of the month????Or do you already have it????

Ken
Old 16th September 2008, 02:56 PM
Advisor

Ken, it`s expensive and hard to care for.

Monthly contest ? heheh. Too much trouble & time consuming to organise. We do the yearly anniversary contest & even that takes a lot of our time organising , getting sponsored prizes etc etc

Remember we don`t charge membership here & we don`t have $$$ to play around with.

Last edited by Tarence; 16th September 2008 at 06:06 PM.