Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default caseyhoo: how to take care Sundew plantlet? (Read 149 times)

caseyhoo

how to take care Sundew plantlet?
« Thread Started on 2 Dec, 2007, 0:49 »May I know how to grow sundew plantlet? I have a lots of D. burmanii and spatulata plantlet. Their growing very very slow. May I know how long it will take them to grow "adult". And normally how you all take care them?

Thanx...

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

Re: how to take care Sundew plantlet?
« Reply #1 on 2 Dec, 2007, 7:03 »For most sp/varieties of sundews, you should keep them permanently on a water tray, provide full sun and grow in a well ventilated area. however, do provide some shelter from our tropical rains as they do not take kindly to being bashed up by rain and humidity is usually not an issue because of the water tray. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
caseyhoo

« Reply #2 on 2 Dec, 2007, 11:46 »
Quote: For most sp/varieties of sundews, you should keep them permanently on a water tray, provide full sun and grow in a well ventilated area. however, do provide some shelter from our tropical rains as they do not take kindly to being bashed up by rain and humidity is usually not an issue because of the water tray.

Thanx for reply...

Currently, I keep them in open air that will bashed up by rain. And I found that some sundew is not doing well, especially paradoxa. Luckily she recovering now.

Normally it takes how long for a bb plant to grow adult?

their growing rate is slow?

What I worry is, they are so tiny, they able get food by their self? Did you all do anything to those small plant? feed them?

Currently, I keep a cuted apple or fruit nearby my CPs...
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #3 on 2 Dec, 2007, 12:27 »different species grow at different rates. maybe some other growers can comment on the growing rate of D. burmanii as i do not grow it but i sowed some D. spathulata seed in may '07, and now it's about 2.5" in diameter.

even though the seedlings might be tiny, and do not seem to be able to catch any prey, but they are still plants first. all they need is light and water to grow.

i suspect that if you are experiencing very slow growth rate, it might be because of the bashing they took from the rains. my drosera are growing much better and with more color after i sheltered them from rain.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 2 Dec, 2007, 12:52 »Generally, most seedlings are slow to grow to adulthood. My D. intermedia took 6-8 months from seeds. D. burmannii is slow too. It flowers quite young at ~1cm for me so I cut off the flower stalks until the plant is about an inch across.

The seedlings can catch insects on their own as soon as they form dew on the tentacles. Very minute insects from the peat do get caught.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #5 on 3 Dec, 2007, 8:49 »Just my little experiece with my "pets"...

I noticed my sundws plantlets grow faster if I feed them insects. In my case small red ants. I can see the difference in just 3-5 days. New leaves are much bigger and the plant looks healthier. They also put out new leaves faster.

Alot of small gnat flies in my growing conditions get caught on the adult plants like filiformis and binata multifida before they could reach my "****es". So I hand feed them. But I only start feeding them ants when they are about 1cm in diameter. The best thing you could give them when they are smaller is lots of sunlight and water.

I agree with hongrui that the bashing from the rain does not go well with the baby plantlets. Perhaps you could build a rack like how hongrui did. Real nice.

« Last Edit: 3 Dec, 2007, 8:50 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 3 Dec, 2007, 12:22 »my d.burmanii grows quite slowly too. it could be due to lack of sunlite as their placement in my garden is a bit shady. i`m only having my 1st batch of burmanii ****es so not that much of a pro.

as for d.spatulatha, i find they grow best in direct sunlite, as much as you can afford to give it. they`ll turn a lovely red and really `sparkle` for you. Make sure that moisture levels are high as well with full sun expsoure.

i do not feed my sundews, instead let them catch their own food but yes, i do agree on occassions when i do feed them, they do grow more vigorously.

summary : enuff sun, lotsa insects as food, high moisture levels, no rain bashing when small.