Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Other Plants > Aquatic And Wetlands Plants

Aquatic And Wetlands Plants Everything about shoreline, floating and submerged plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th January 2009, 05:36 PM

Default Emerse to Submerge

Hi all
Since nobody have posted here, I'll be the first one. ;-) My first post in the forum as well.

Anyway, here is the story. Those familiar with planted tank will do aquascape (nice ones). After a while, while collecting many plants, and keep adding to the aquarium, the nice scape will be ruined. We use the term collectoritis to describe it.

Since the above, I was trying to devise a plan to keep plants (collecting them) but not ruining my aquascape. Therefore, this method of planting came out.

Well, here is the process.
1) First I get a pot and seal the holes leaving 1 open. Then attach a PVC piping on it. All sealed.

2) Then plant with soil/burnt soil/left over aquatic soil. I let the soil level to the top of PVC. Meaning, no excess water on top (or just a little).
3) When I have it growing well, here is the picture.

Here is a closeup of the plant in emerse form.

4) When time is right, I put a PVC connector and increase the level to the top of the pot. You can cut all top growth before filling to minimize polutants when the leaf rots underwater. Then I put it in a shaded area. After I see new growth, I move it to a morning sun location.
5) Here is a result after 3 weeks of morning sun. The plant shown in this experiment is rotola rotundifolia. BTW. the dirt on top is grass clipping as the lawnmover man just came.

Here is a closeup

I am trying out with the fussy stellata now.

Regards
cj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4501-1.jpg (252.6 KB, 1059 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4495-1.JPG (245.3 KB, 2246 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4496-1.JPG (195.5 KB, 2399 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4499.jpg (218.3 KB, 957 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4498.jpg (127.7 KB, 846 views)