Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 3rd July 2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default David: Some Pictures of my "Pets" (Read 477 times)

David
Administrator

Some Pictures of my "Pets"
« Thread Started on 17 Jan, 2008, 23:07 »Just to share some pictures...

Here's a new fella in my grow chamber. Just got it last weekend from Cindy. Thanks to Choong for hand carrying it for me to KL and Cindy for the plant. Guess what it is...

It is covered at the moment until it establishes itself. Not taking the risk again. Already killed 2 a couple of months ago...

This image is reduced by 9%, click it to view full size.

Ok laaa, show you guys what it is. My little "cabbages"... as how Cindy would call them, heh, heh... They're still stress a little as they came bare root. Wish me all the best and hope I do not kill these this time.

This image is reduced by 9%, click it to view full size.

D. schizandra

D. anglica (Canada) from leaf cuttings...

Baby D. binata var. multifida f. extreme, also from leaf cuttings...

D. indica plantlets from Jon. Doing well...

D. indica plants...

D. ericksoniae x pullchella. Much bigger now compared to the last time when i post a picture. Love them.

My all time favourite, D. paradoxa...

D. rotundifolia starting to grow. Slowly but surely...

D. spatulata...

« Last Edit: 17 Jan, 2008, 23:09 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcaseyhoo

Re: Some Pictures of my "Pets"
« Reply #1 on 17 Jan, 2008, 23:11 »Wauh...

Chinese New Year coming... May bring my pricess to yours house. You dont need give her angbao. Just D. will do... « Last Edit: 17 Jan, 2008, 23:11 by caseyhoo »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesiijonathan

« Reply #2 on 17 Jan, 2008, 23:49 »
Hey bro...

I like your spatulata so red so envy..... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedA dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

David
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 17 Jan, 2008, 23:59 »caseyhoo, sure you can visit us. Yaa man! Would love to see you little princess. I can't remember, how many months is she already? Waaa, how could you? Your daughter is only a couple of months old and you already "poison" her with the CP bug. I might have just the right antidote for her "poison"

Hi jon, actually lately they've turned green a little. The leaf blade itself use to be red too. As you can see it has turned greenish. I wanted to cool the air further in the grow chamber, so I moved them a little further away from the lighting. I think they should get use to it and turn red again. Maybe I should increase the hours the lights are turn on from 16 hours to 18 hours, maybe... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 18 Jan, 2008, 1:07 »Nice D. schizandra! Now you still need 1 sister to make it complete. Ha ha...

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimDavid
Administrator

« Reply #5 on 18 Jan, 2008, 8:30 »
Quote: Nice D. schizandra! Now you still need 1 sister to make it complete. Ha ha...

Ya man! Anybody have it... D. prolifera? Been looking for this for a while too. Then I can place them together in a corner of my chamber and place a tag there, "The Three Sisters of Queensland"
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 18 Jan, 2008, 8:46 »very nice sundews, David......i hope our pygmies will flower & have gemmae in the near future..... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #7 on 18 Jan, 2008, 11:28 »Waa, David now I must get the cabbage. I was wondering why it cost so much. Now I know.

Choong Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #8 on 18 Jan, 2008, 14:03 »Choong,

A couple of months ago I bought from Triffid Park, Aus. It costs more than what I got from Cindy if you also add the postage etc. This little cabbage is so simple but so expensive.

Just hope and hope that this time around it'll not die on me. As of yesterday, still no dews yet on the leaves.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #9 on 18 Jan, 2008, 14:06 »Hey guys/gals,

I noticed yesterday that my D. ericksoniae x pullchella is giving out flower stalks. Still short. Will post pictures when they flower. I understand that it is difficult to get seeds from pygmies in cultivation. Is it really true? Is there something that I can do to increase the chance of seeds?

Can't wai't for the flower to bloom. It seems pygmies flowers has a nice scent. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #10 on 26 Jan, 2008, 0:09 »I've decided to seperate the 2 D. schzandra and place one in a bigger pot in my one feet terrarium. Very humid in there but with air circulation from aquarium air pump. The other is in my 4-feet grow chamber, but covered still.

"Pet" schzandra is with one of her sisters... D. adelae...

However, don know why both still does not produce dews. Can see a new leaf slowly developing tho'. Any suggestions or theories? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #11 on 27 Jan, 2008, 23:04 »Cindy! HELPPP...

Lim! HELPPP...

Anybody out there... helpppppp.... !!! Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #12 on 27 Jan, 2008, 23:06 »I decided to shift the other pot into this 1 feet terrarium too because it's leaves are starting to turn yellowish. However, this one in the 1 feet terrarium seems ok. But stilll not dews yet. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisthongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #13 on 28 Jan, 2008, 7:19 »David, i've heard that D. schizandra is a low-light sundew. i do not have it so i can't offer any suggestions on how to grow it « Last Edit: 28 Jan, 2008, 7:20 by hongrui »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08David
Administrator

« Reply #14 on 28 Jan, 2008, 17:16 »Yaa, that's what Cindy told me. So I tried one in my 4-feet terrarium and the other in the 1-feet terrarium with only 18 watts lighting. The on in the 1-feet terrarium seems healthier. So now both are in the 1-feet terrarium. The adelae also seems to grow faster in the 1-feet terrarium. I guess it's much cooler too.

Maybe I need not panic so fast. Just wait and see. « Last Edit: 28 Jan, 2008, 17:22 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on 30 Jan, 2008, 13:02 »Hi David,

My computer konked out and I had to get a new one. Popped in several times to read using the labtop at work but couldn't reply much.

D. schizandra needs very low light. My largest plant is keep at about 300lux. That is about the amount of light you receive at night with your lights on the ceiling. The other is in a 2ft tank with a 15W light. Putting it with D. adelae is fine but there will be a compromise. If the light turns your D. adelae reddish, then it is too bright for the D. schizandra. They turn light yellowish green with too much light. Cut back the light and the leaves become darker green.

Humidity should be near 100%. A sealed tank is great. I still have one plant in the ziploc bag since it arrived two weeks ago with your plants. The fellow has produced a new leaf and is now producing its second! Quite amazing because I was expecting the plant to rot but nope, it is nice and dewy.

So far, I have not cooled my plants. They are in shade and temperature should hover around 32C at the hottest.

Oh, I forget to add...

I am glad you separated the two plants. Once D. schizandra starts growing for you, it would fill up that 5"-6" pot. And don't forget that this species is similar to D. adelae. It puts out new plants from the roots and leaves. So you may find little cabbages in time to come.

Both your plants look great in the pics. The dew is not likely to return...at least that is what I noticed about the plants I've got. They will take a while to acclimatise and will not do anything. As long as the whole plant remains green and the growth point is healthy, just leave it alone. The newest leaf produced would be dewy. « Last Edit: 30 Jan, 2008, 13:16 by cindy »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #16 on 30 Jan, 2008, 13:58 »Thanks Cindy,

At least I don feel so panicky now. Thanks for the tip. The adelae has put out 2 new leaves since I placed it in the 1-feet terrarium. The leaves are green. So this means the lighting is just about right for my little "cabbages". Can't wait for them to grow into huge clumps.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan, 2008, 14:00 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on 31 Jan, 2008, 12:21 »David : your D. ericksoniae x pullchella is sending out flower stalks ? you must be supplementing the lil` buggers` diet rite ? mine got no sign of flower.....

TS : is the gemmae from you or me ? coz i know i gave David this one but he can`t remember....just want to know so that i can start hoping for flowers too. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #18 on 31 Jan, 2008, 18:54 »
Quote: David : your D. ericksoniae x pullchella is sending out flower stalks ? you must be supplementing the lil` buggers` diet rite ? mine got no sign of flower.....

TS : is the gemmae from you or me ? coz i know i gave David this one but he can`t remember....just want to know so that i can start hoping for flowers too.

Yupe I suppliment my ericksoniae x pullchella with dried cubifex worms. Just very little about once every 1-2 weeks. Break them up into dust and sprinkle on the leaves. This is just an experiment I did. Seems to work. The worms were digested within 1-2 days and the leaves produce a lot of dews. i think they like it. However, I notice new leaves grow faster with insects.

Tarence, TS also gave me gemmae and some were of the same species that you gave me.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #19 on 3 Feb, 2008, 16:37 »Tarence, here's a picture of the ericksoniae x pullchella and its flowers. Having trouble zooming in, so I just take a picture of the whole plant. The picture is a little over expose, so the flowers look white in colour. They are actually pink...

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on 12 Feb, 2008, 8:32 »thx David.....just logged in today after a long break....your pygmy is way ahead of mine then. I don`t see any semblance of flower stalks etc yet. But i think you have an advantage ( good for you !) over us outdoor growers coz it hasn`t been too sunny of late & my garden patch which catches the a`noon sun is now getting none....

TS : yours flowering ah ?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #21 on 12 Feb, 2008, 9:25 »Thanks for the compliments Trence but I think most of your plants or other growers plants here are much bigger when grown outdoors compared to mine most of the time. I think it's the cooler temperature and sunlight from growing outdoors. Nothing beat natural sunlight. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist