Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Default civic: N. sharifah- hapsahii

civic

N.sharifah-hapsahii Lau
« Thread Started on Sept 7, 2007, 11:26pm » Hi,everybody...the species seems like n.sharifah-hapsahii?but i hope it not are n.sharifah-hapsahii,so i can register by n. LAU.haha...
hello,fauzi,this is n.sharifah-hapsahii???

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.92.154.36 piscesilim
Global Moderator

Re: N.sharifah-hapsahii Lau
« Reply #1 on Sept 8, 2007, 12:00am » Hi, Lau,

Where did this plant came from? Check the description in the link below. See if it match your plant.
http://www.ansijournals.com/ijb/2007/71-77.pdf

But if this plant is going to name after you. Then have to put one "i" after Lau. The scientific name will become Nepenthes laui. If Lau is a girl then have to put "ae" behind Lau. The scientific name will become Nepenthes lauae.
« Last Edit: Sept 8, 2007, 12:02am by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top 60.53.122.153Lim fauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #2 on Sept 8, 2007, 12:01am » Hi Lau,

It looks like the N.sharifah-hapsahii base on

1) Pitcher is cylindrical,
2) Distribution of the nectar gland below the lid
3) The peristome of the pitcher is obvious

I have seen a green colour N.sharifah-hapsahii but yet to see the maroon variation. Next week Dr Jumaat will give me some 'ligitimate' plant for cutting.

Congrat Lau.

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.51.217Nepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
piscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on Sept 8, 2007, 12:18am » Could it be Nepenthes xneglecta too? A natural hybrid between Nepenthes gracilis and Nepenthes mirabilis.
Anyone got description for Nepenthes xneglecta?

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.53.122.153Lim hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #4 on Sept 8, 2007, 7:42am » N. sharifah-hapsahii is supposed to have 'distinctive peristome ribs', but from your pictures the peristome seems to be pretty smooth. do you have a picture of the stem, showing the petiole attachment?

i'm with piscesilim and am inclined to think that it's likely to be hybrid between gracilis & mirabilis.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.83.247looking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #5 on Sept 8, 2007, 3:04pm » It does look like N. gracilis (maroon) x N. mirabilis maroon. The pitchere shape looks like graclis but the peristome like mirabilis. The lid also is positioned horizontaly like that of mirabilis. Gracilis lid seems to open up more. The leaf shape seem to be that of N. gracilis.

But this is just based on my observations of the many plants I see in the wild and in my garden, I might be wrong.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist civic

« Reply #6 on Sept 8, 2007, 8:58pm » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hai,hongrui,Lim..
it is picture of the stem and the leaf,the plant i am buy on local nursery,i think the plant is "brigand" take on wild.

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.92.154.36 ding

ding = pickjian

« Reply #7 on Sept 9, 2007, 2:23pm » i agree with david. it's obviously a hybrid between n. gracilis and n. mirabilis.

ding

Link to Post - Back to Top 116.197.221.40 hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #8 on Sept 10, 2007, 11:08pm » thanks for the pics civic. it's looking more and more like a mirabilis & gracilis hybrid.

maybe fauzi can post some pics of the real N. sharifah-hapsahii from Dr Jumaat for comparison after he gets the cuttings?

« Last Edit: Sept 10, 2007, 11:10pm by hongrui »Link to Post - Back to Top 203.124.2.41looking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
nep369

N. sibuyanensis x x trusmadiensis

« Reply #9 on Sept 11, 2007, 5:36pm » I would agree with the majority as it is; a hyprid between gracilis and mirabilis. I would like to see pics of N. sharifah-hapsahii, wow that takes a while to type.
Link to Post - Back to Top 67.49.170.46got nepenthes? fauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #10 on Sept 11, 2007, 7:27pm » I have an appointment with "Dr" this coming Thursday. Hope can get cuttings and photos of the plant in the wild within UKM. I'll post the photos once I have it.

Thanks

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.51.77Nepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
fauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #11 on Sept 16, 2007, 12:47am » Hi all,

Below are some photos of N.sharifah-hapsahii from the cutting given by Dr Jumaat Adam of which I got in on Thursday but due to the streamyx problem in my area, I am not able to download it earlier.

The leaf

The peristome

The pitcher

The underlid

Base on the photos submitted by Lau. Dr Jumaat is not able to confirm with certainty that it is either a sharifah-hapsahii or the x neglecta. Maybe one day I will borrow the plant from Lau and bring it to the DR for verification.

« Last Edit: Sept 16, 2007, 11:18pm by cactustts »Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.245.90Nepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #12 on Oct 21, 2007, 10:50am » Call me crazy, but is this now accepted as a species? I thought there was still much disagreement, and it was pretty muhc not viewed as a species except by a very small minority. But hey, a taxonomist I am not.
Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
rainforestguy

« Reply #13 on Oct 22, 2007, 7:06am » It has that similar albomarginata edge to it and the leaves do resemble albos slightly. Is there any natural albo x gracilis hybrids?

This may also be the case of introgression back and forth between two species with hybrid species breeding back to pure and other introgressed species. The example with BE's N. platychila has several forms shopwing up under the species N. platychila. We have seen introgression between N. platychila and fusca. Perhaps these could also be platychila x (platychila x fusca) or even (platychila x fusca) x (platychila x fusca), to other extremes where the fusca is like a second cousin once removed breeding back to its original pure N. platychila bloodline.
I believe for this species, a pollen examination would be in order for best describing the definition of platychila.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 72.235.135.58http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi kltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #14 on Oct 22, 2007, 10:27am » Yes Michael, there is a albomarginata x gracilis hybrid. The picture can be found on this thread

http://petpitcher.proboards61.com/index.....79996129&page=2

pix 13 and 14.

Choong

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.242.231 fauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #15 on Oct 22, 2007, 3:48pm » Hi,

I have visited one natural habitat of this species. In that locality this species co-exist with N.mirabilis only. No other species can be found within that area. I am searching for a N.gracilis but nowhere to be found within 100 ft radius from that colony (not able to go farther as it is a swampy area)There are only about 6-7 matured plants of this species in that seccluded area.

I also visited another place where N.mirabilis and N.gracilis do co-exist. The hybrids that formed is exactly like what has been posted by Civic.

Camera is not available as it is an adhock visit. Maybe later I will take photos of that colony.

Thanks

Thanks.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.53.46.98Nepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #16 on Oct 23, 2007, 3:26am »
Quote:I have visited one natural habitat of this species. In that locality this species co-exist with N.mirabilis only. No other species can be found within that area. I am searching for a N.gracilis but nowhere to be found within 100 ft radius from that colony (not able to go farther as it is a swampy area) There are only about 6-7 matured plants of this species in that seccluded area.
Geotype of gracilis...

Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
kltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #17 on Oct 23, 2007, 9:43am » Since there is a white band around the peristome in Fauzi's green specimen, here are two photos of albomarginata x gracilis taken at Bukit Keledang for comparison. Note the presence of wings in the hybrid.

Choong

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.48.198.4