Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default cindy: D. adelae plantlets from a leaf (Read 204 times)

cindy
Global Moderator

D. adelae plantlets from a leaf
« Thread Started on 21 Oct, 2007, 23:59 »I have a plant grown in a small porcelin pot which is submerged partially in water. Today when I was about to top up the container with water, I noticed the plantlets.
This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

The portion of leaf was removed and placed on some live sphagnum so that the young plants have a chance to grow out.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

Re: D. adelae plantlets from a leaf
« Reply #1 on 22 Oct, 2007, 9:21 »waaaa so cute! Both the plantlets and the flower pattern on the nail.

Hehehehe...

Good for you cindy!
« Last Edit: 22 Oct, 2007, 9:22 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #2 on 22 Oct, 2007, 10:11 »Man, just like that also can grow plantlets. Cute little ****es you have there Cindy. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistlisham

« Reply #3 on 23 Oct, 2007, 10:40 »David, my D. adelae oso got plantlets.

But like Tarences' son (that's the first D. adeleae that I got), the ****es are moody too.

One day they're putting nice leaves with red dew, the next day they're brown all over then repeat. I put them in shade, full sun, bright shade, places that I cant see them, bring them out again (sighs) they just wont grow like the ones seen on the net.

But they're alive. it's like one of those love hate love hate relationship. That's for 1 D. adeleae. I got one 4", five half inch ones, that a total of six D. adeleae, six times the headache. Hehehe...
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 23 Oct, 2007, 10:56 »My moody grandchildren ah those ? heheh....as for me, they seem to grow the best-est in morn` sun, protected from heavy downpours. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #5 on 23 Oct, 2007, 11:18 »I am growing them in morning sun lor, no rain. Watered by tray. sometimes I just wish I could take them out to dinner, have a heart to heart chat with them so that they'd tell me, how to grow them properly. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 23 Oct, 2007, 12:07 »D. adelae has always been a MAJOR love-hate affair for me.

L - Beautiful sundew which turns all red and is large
H - It came from TP all dead and mushy. Only a few thread-like roots were found in the media.
L - Plantlets appeared from the roots and they did very well.
L - Within the same year, I could pass numerous D. adelae plants out to interested growers.
H - All of my own plants suddenly die back.
H - Very few offshoot from roots survived.
H - I lost my last plant.
L - For the love of it, I went and got a few plants back from the growers I gave them to.
H - I have a few struggling plants while other growers have them growing out of those netted Nep pots!
L - It produced plantlets on a leaf.

Anymore eye-rolling and my eye balls will fall out over this finicky species!
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #7 on 23 Oct, 2007, 12:44 »it's ok cindy... when that happens, you know we're here for you... for emotional support and also to poke em back in... heheheh.... « Last Edit: 23 Oct, 2007, 12:46 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on 23 Oct, 2007, 13:08 »
Quote: also to poke em back in

OUCH!!
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 23 Oct, 2007, 13:30 »Lisham : there shall be no eye-poking here, even tho it`s Cindy`s. heheh.

Cindy : we`ll assist to re-slot your eyeballs. do both eyes look the same & do they have L & R labells ? coz we might mistakenly re-slot the left to right & vice versa. *smile*

I love d.adelae too. It was one of my first sundews. Back then, I only had spatulatha & adelae. You can imagine my frustrations when the adelae decided to do it`s magic tricks periodically. Now you see it , then you don`t. Once I came back frm a 1 week holiday and the whole adelae `bush` had disappeared. *aiyo*
« Last Edit: 23 Oct, 2007, 13:42 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #10 on 23 Oct, 2007, 13:42 »I have also found this species to be so difficult to take care of. I've gotten plants from Lim and Tarence and all of them have died. The latest I've gotten from a friend in Singapore. So far so good. Lots of dews and growing new leaves, but I suspect it could be due to the cool weather because of the rain we are experiencing everyday in KL.

Kinda happy with the weather as my sundews are growing better. I really hope this batch of adelaes survive in the long run for me.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct, 2007, 13:43 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on 23 Oct, 2007, 13:43 »Don`t tell them about the d.capensis David...oops. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #12 on 23 Oct, 2007, 22:47 »Cindy... Dont get any spag moss on your eyeballs ok? spagmoss+eyeballs=irritation.

Tarence.... now that you roused our curiousity... what's the story with D. capensis?
« Last Edit: 23 Oct, 2007, 22:48 by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on 24 Oct, 2007, 15:17 »short story dat capensis.

it came.

it died.

not mine laa.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #14 on 24 Oct, 2007, 18:07 » ... wait super gran, wait... « Last Edit: 24 Oct, 2007, 18:08 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist