Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Other Plants > Foliage Plants

Foliage Plants Palm, ferns, vines, trees, woody plants, grasses, ground covering plants, etc.

Old 30th July 2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Default shawnintland: hoyas ho! (Read 593 times)

shawnintland

hoyas ho!
« Thread Started on 14 Mar, 2008, 9:30 »Well, while exploring the forum I came across the fact that there are a few other hoya lovers here! I've recently been trying out a new camera to see what it can do. Here's a few pics;

Cyrtoceras floribundum; I have LOADS of fresh seed this week if anyone is interested! Very easy grower, early flowering. Unlike most hoyas this one grows as a bush, not a vine.

Hoya obscura - pink;

Hoya mindronensis;

Hoya publicalyx;

H. unknown;

Another unidentified;

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedmarigoldsfail21

Re: hoyas ho!
« Reply #1 on 17 Mar, 2008, 10:07 »Impressive flowers, Shawn. What are your growing conditions? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedboonleng

« Reply #2 on 17 Mar, 2008, 12:43 »very nice collection.
the H.unknown could be H.davidcumminsii
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

« Reply #3 on 18 Mar, 2008, 0:19 »Hi marygoldsfail21 - Big mix of conditions for the hoyas - there are so many that some are in places where they get daily care and others I don't see for weeks at a time! Most of my areas are partially shaded for part of the day. Almost everything is in coco fiber or really course composted leaf mulch. (Except the Cyrtoceras floribundum, which grows in straight dirt.) My temperatures are way hotter than the mid-west, (I was born in Illinois, looong loooong ago!) 80- 95 degrees all year round, monsoon seasons for 2-3 months, then baking hot and dry for a few months...but that was all before global warming I guess - now there's no pattern!

boonleng - I'm sooo lazy , are you talking about the first or second unknown? Thanks!

« Reply #4 on 18 Mar, 2008, 10:58 »Okay boonleng, it was late last night so I was lazy! But this morning I had a look and realize you mean the first one - and I believe you are correct! There is a slight red on the corolla in the pictures I looked at that doesnt appear on my flowers but its probably just a slight variation. Thanks, now if I can just find the plant again I can finally label it! Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedboonleng

« Reply #5 on 18 Mar, 2008, 10:59 »This is davidcumminsii http://www.bigislandgrowers.com/AHcomp/AHdavc1.php
you can check whether the foliage same as yours or not.

you collected a lot of hoya?

« Reply #6 on 18 Mar, 2008, 12:12 »Hee, Hee, Hee, that's the site I checked the picture at! Carol is a friend of mine. Yes, I collect a lot of Hoyas! My neps collection is starting to rival my hoyas but I have had the Hoyas for a lot longer. Are you here in Thailand boonleng? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedboonleng

« Reply #7 on 18 Mar, 2008, 14:28 »I'm from Malaysia. I only started collecting Hoya abt a year ago and now its slowly taking over my orchids...haha. For CP is just a small collections. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

« Reply #8 on 18 Mar, 2008, 16:05 »Watch out boonleng - that's the same thing that happened to me! Started out with orchids, moved into hoyas and WHAM - Neps started taking over!
I just finished packing 6 boxes of Hoya cuttings and 400 Cyrtoceras floribundum seeds to send off tomorrow to members from this forum and NepenthesSiam forum! I noticed 5 new pods on the Cyrtoceras floribundum this morning and this afternoon I just spotted 5 more, so there will be plenty more to come! I think Malaysia's quarantine laws are pretty tough for plant material so cuttings might be a hassle but I'll gladly send seed when I have it, if you are interested.
Shawn
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedboonleng

« Reply #9 on 18 Mar, 2008, 20:40 »thanks for the offer, but I oledi hv the Cyrtoceras floribundum, just brought 1 2 months ago. Im more interested on ur unknown hoya, may be we can do some exchange/trade...hehe. Ur hoya seem to produce seed pod easily, mine hardly see 1
« Last Edit: 20 Mar, 2008, 23:59 by cactustts »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedshawnintland

« Reply #10 on 18 Mar, 2008, 23:11 »Do you mean the "unknown" that we had not discussed or the one we did? I think that the "unknown" with the fully re-curved petals (last photo) is probably Hoya gracilis and the other with the non-recurved petals (second to last) is probably H. Davidcummingii. Let me know which one is it that you're interested in and I'll hunt around for the mother plant. « Last Edit: 18 Mar, 2008, 23:14 by shawnintland »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedmarigoldsfail21

« Reply #11 on 19 Mar, 2008, 9:02 »I really like your Hoya mindronensis, you think I could grow some in a terrarium? Or would I need hundreds of heat and grow lamps? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedboonleng

« Reply #12 on 19 Mar, 2008, 15:19 »shawnintland,
I actually interested in both of ur unknown hoya.. hehe.

marigoldsfail21,
yes, u can grow them in terrarium, their grow condition is similar to Nep. If ur Nep can survive, Hoya sure no problem. Usually people will move them out during summer.

« Reply #13 on 19 Mar, 2008, 16:44 »Hmmm, in a terrarium huh? I'm not real sure! I think it would grow, maybe not very fast, but I'm not sure if it would flower for you. It tends to send out long shoots of new growth (like 50 cm at a time) and then it slows down and thickens up for a while. I only have a couple H. mindronensis plants and they seem to suffer or thrive depending on something totally beyond my knowledge! One month they look great and the next they look terrible...even when I can't tell what conditions have changed. I moved one into a shady place below my house last month and now suddenly it looks great! Seems to be a pretty finicky species (to me anyway). I seem to remember someone in the mid west growing them on some other Hoya forum I visited a while back. Maybe do a search for hoya forums in the States and read up a bit on what members say there. I know some people were growing them as house plants in their windows.

Shawn

« Reply #14 on 19 Mar, 2008, 16:47 »Boonleng,

I'll have a look around the nurseries and see if I can figure out where I hung them! It usually takes me a month to root them up (once I find them!). It seems to me that they are both very small flowered and small leafed varieties - that should make it a little easier for me to find them.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar, 2008, 16:49 by shawnintland »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedmarigoldsfail21

« Reply #15 on 20 Mar, 2008, 6:08 »I'll do that, thanks for the advice. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggededmund83

« Reply #16 on 31 Mar, 2008, 16:00 »Hi shawn and all hoya fan,

my hoya seem not easy flowering. Got any suggestion? i bought it last year. the flower is white color and reddish bit!

My type is hoya anulata. correct me if i am wrong

I have another type which the leaf is heart share and the flower is red color. will update soon!
« Last Edit: 31 Mar, 2008, 16:34 by edmund83 »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedEdmund ^^v
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmund830808/
~~DrosEra F@n == CepH F@n~~
shawnintland

« Reply #17 on 31 Mar, 2008, 16:51 »Hi Edmund83,

Hmmm, pretty hard to say! I have found that my Hoyas flower more when the sun moves South and they get a bit more light than they get the rest of the year. I can't really see much of your plant from those pictures but it looks healthy! Do you use any "flowering ferts" at all? I often use a little bit of 12-24-12, well away from the stem to boost the flowering, but start with tiny bits and add more as you see no damage occurring. I don't know how it effects the flowering but I know that they like to dry out a bit between waterings...perhaps if it's too pampered with daily watering it just chooses to put out more foliage instead of flowers (just conjecture)!
Some hoyas are very seasonal as far as flowering, others put on a show year round. I'd love to see a hoya lovers' data base where all this kind of info would be accessable to everyone...alas I haven't found it yet! There are some really good hoya forums out there,. I followed a few for a while but now with CPs taking over my life I can't find enough time to surf the web for hoyas as well! Somewhere I have a bunch of bookmarks for great hoya sites...if you want 'em PM me and I'll try to put them into an e-mail for you.
Shawn
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggededmund83

« Reply #18 on 2 Apr, 2008, 9:21 »i did not use any fert on the plant. i just make sure two days watering it.
you use 12-24-12 to boost the flowering. what is 12-24-12?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedEdmund ^^v
shawnintland

« Reply #19 on 2 Apr, 2008, 9:43 »12-24-12 is the N-P-K ratio of the fertilizer. Generally, the first number (representing Nitrogen) promotes leaf and stem growth, the second number promotes flowering and the third promotes fruit development. That's a pretty simplified explanation, but I think correct. Most all ferts have these 3 numbers listed on the package somewhere. Usually you would not use just one type of fert (0-0-10 for instance, although they do make such stuff) but a mix with the ratio who's effect is aimed at the response you desire.
Sorry, got to run right now...more info later if you need it.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
edmund83

« Reply #20 on 2 Apr, 2008, 12:50 »ya ... hear this NPK when i am into planted tank
did you hear about PMDD which another needed for plant~

I planning to buy this three element then mix by myself . so i can use it for my planted tank also~~
however, in here the supplier seem sell in a big pack 25kg... hopefully i can got the small pack from the fert shop.

Did you supply IRON (fe) to your plant? i think plant also need this nutricient!
shawnintland

« Reply #21 on 2 Apr, 2008, 15:07 »Hi Edmund83,

I find it much easier to buy a pre-mixed formula. For my hydroponic setups we mix our own but it is very easy to screw up and sometimes the source materials of each element can come in a form that do not do well together. Be careful! It's really easy to (hate to say it, but) kill your plants! Especially in a tank set-up. Many pre-mix ferts also contain micro-nutrients and minerals. Most of these elements are only necessary in tiny quantities. As a general program I use fish emulsion and seaweed (very high in micro-nutrients) on a regular basis (up to once a week as a foliar spray - only when no bright sunshine, like late afternoon) and on larger nursery stock I often use a fertilizer called "Osmacote" which is a time-release fert that lasts for 3 months at an application. (It comes in different formulations and different lengths of duration as well). I'd just recommend staying with a pre-mixed fertilizer unless you really know what you are doing (like have a degree in chemistry!)
Most good fertilizer shops also sell smaller bags (at higher prices), just look around a bit. See what some of the other forum members have to say about ferts too, I'm sure they can make some 'brand name' recommendations.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggededmund83

« Reply #22 on 3 Apr, 2008, 12:55 »Ya i agree with you. We must study and do it in practically carefully. If not the plant can easily killed by one of the element!

Apparently , i still will buy those fert that already mixed well. But , at the same i also interest study those element which needed by plant. Sometime it fun and enjoy to learn it . Of course, one thing bad is time consuming.
edmund83

« Reply #23 on 14 Apr, 2008, 13:49 »hi shawn , just check your link that you sent me . will try to import the bookmark that you sent me. thank you very much ya!!! Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedEdmund ^^v
shawnintland

« Reply #24 on 14 Apr, 2008, 14:58 »No problem, sorry it's not more organized! There are some real gems in there! Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkhairimhd

« Reply #25 on 5 May, 2008, 10:28 »Hoyas also found blooming in man-made jungle in Pahang

« Last Edit: 5 May, 2008, 10:29 by khairimhd »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://tangansejuk.blogspot.com/boonleng

« Reply #26 on 26 May, 2008, 12:23 »1st time bloom at my place.

Hoya kerrii
This image is reduced by 17%, click it to view full size.

Hoya elliptica

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedplantlover

Now I'm getting more experienced

« Reply #27 on 27 May, 2008, 9:37 »Wow! Beautiful hoyas. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAaronmarigoldsfail21

« Reply #28 on 28 May, 2008, 10:23 » Very nice hoyas Link to Post - Back to Top Logged