Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th May 2009, 10:31 AM

Default D. Aliciae

I'm not only new to the forums, I'm rather new to sundews.

I've been keeping Venus Flytraps and a few different Sarracenias for awhile with a fair amount of success so I figured I'd try my luck at these gorgeous little drosera species.

I recently bought a D. Aliciae about 3 days ago and for the last 3 days I've had him on a table about 2 feet from my window (I was worried about a draft). I potted him into a 4 inch pot from the little 3.5 I bought him in. He's in a media of peat moss and perlite (60:40). He sits in a little try of about an inch of water with grvael underneath to elevate him abit so as he's not sitting in direct water so as his roots won't rot. He also has a homemade "humidity chamber" made of a 2 litre soda bottle with the top and bottom cut off so as there is air circulation and so he can still catch food.

I noticed this morning he wasn't "dew-y" looking anymore so I took a trip to a local store and picked up a full spectrum terrarium plant grow light which I have place about 5 inches from him.

I'm terribly worried as it's an absolutely gorgeous plant. He still has all of his color and looks fine aside from his lack of dew. He has a lovely long flower stalk growing out the top of the humidity chamber that looks as if it may bloom any day now.

I have also noticed he hasn't eatten anything yet so I picked up a small fruit fly culture to feed to him in the next few days if he can't get "dew-y" again and catch his own food.

Anyone with any experience with the species with any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm not going to lie; I'm nervous as a cat right now.

Thank you SO much in advance for any information and help.

Sincerely,
Manda