Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Orchids

Orchids Everything about plants in the Orchidaceae family

Old 3rd December 2008, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Phal in bloom...

hi marigold,

this looks like a taiwan phal hybrid. sorry, I'm not sure about the ID myself maybe other members can advice...
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:29 PM
Global Moderator

Nice phals, Jonathan... I have violacea and bellina too.. Phals are really easy to grow if you have a moist shady area suitable for CPs.. They like it shadier than most CPs, and need good air circulation.. The best way to prevent crown rot id to grow them 'sideways' or mount them so the leaves flop downwards..
Old 7th December 2008, 03:29 AM

All the phals sold around here are hybrids I think. There isn't much of a demand for orchids around here, so the nursuries don't offer many types.
Old 7th December 2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigoldsfail21 View Post
All the phals sold around here are hybrids I think. There isn't much of a demand for orchids around here, so the nursuries don't offer many types.
hi marigold,

if you want species phal, you can try ebay. there is a seller from canada who has quite an impressive collection of phals for sale.
Old 19th December 2008, 09:15 AM

my newly acquired phals. not sure about the ID though...

Old 24th December 2008, 11:35 AM

Harris, if I'm not mistaken the first flower looks like a lueddemania cross. The second flower looks like a bellina cross and the third an amboinensis cross. My two cents...

I'm into phalaenopsis plants too. However I have a problem getting my plants to flower, especially the fancy hybrids. Do they need temperature drops at night? Please advise, thanks in advance!!
Old 25th December 2008, 08:59 AM

hi funkychips,

I think for all the taiwan hybrid phal, they need a big drop in temperature to flower but for normal phal, it will be a great help but not essential. my phal usually bloom after i change the fertiliser. i usually feed them high N fertiliser for 3-4 months and then change it to high P and K fertiliser until it blooms. i'm using organic fertiliser b'green seaweed for growth and b'green fruits and blooms to trigger the flowering.

but having said that, my orchid's house temperature at night can drop to 23-25 C depending on the seasons. What I did to help bring the temperature down is having a lot of green plants near the orchid house. when these plants transpire at night, it will release water vapor and help bring the temperature down. it is also my habit to wet my orchid's house floor before i go to sleep. the cement flooring stores heat during the day and releasing it at night. so, when there are water on the floor, when it releses the heat it will create higher humidity thus lowering the temperature.

a nursery owner teach me a technique but i haven't tried it yet. waiting for my automatic watering system to be ready before experimenting with it. he says that by misting the orchid house at 4 am, it will bring the temperature to the lowest possible on particular day. please be cautious, i said misting and not watering! watering the plants at night can create basal/crown rot for phal because the water will take longer to dissipate when it is trapped in the crown.
Old 25th December 2008, 10:20 PM

Interesting info, Harris! I noticed that Penang Island has breezes throughout most of the days. I think this may be the reason why the temperature is not as high as it is in KL.
Will start wetting down the orchid house ground from tomorrow night onwards.
Old 28th December 2008, 10:30 PM

just wanna update a few phals at home:

Phal NOID, very small but interesting flower. i compare it with a 10 cent coin...

phal amboinensis X violacea, newly acquired falls in love with the colour and pattern...

phal violacea 'blue', belongs to a friend of mine. hopefully, one day i'll be a proud owner of one as well. still searching for one without the huge pricetag!