Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 12th March 2010, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Nepenthes Rajah

Here is my rajah, ive had 3 others, 1 died, 2 sold...the one that died, was about a 14 inches in diameter....ive got photos of it laying around somewhere but it just didnt like coming from BE to my place, torn up from the ground no doubt at the nursery, it had virtually no rootsystem. as you can see this one isnt even finished uncurling its newest leaf and it already has another on the way, i gave it a coffee treatment...
sorry about the purple hue, its my lighting....the plants will be back into my greenhouse in a month or so....
Old 12th March 2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Can I know what is coffee treatment? Hope your last rajah acclimatise for u.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 12th March 2010, 01:05 PM
Administrator

looks like not only humans are addicted to coffee...

Seriously, ppl are have good results with coffee "treatment" as reported in other forums. Very interesting...
Old 14th March 2010, 03:36 PM

Yea...because of the caffeine in coffee..Maybe I should try
Old 16th March 2010, 09:45 PM

Actually, just was trying to research this. What does the cold temperature do for highlanders? So far, I guess most people have tip rot which I heard is root related, so I assume it should be root related. The coldness does something to the root?

Regards
cj
Old 17th March 2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

I can't remember the details but plants adapted to cool climate need the drop in temperature to enable them to synthesis certain chemicals/enzymes in order for them to thrive. Can't remember the name of that proses/cycle.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:01 PM

In other words, coldness makes more water vapour. Thus, transpiration in the plant does not occur that much since the humidity is high and temperature is low. Thus, highlander neps have adapted to the cold and humid surroundings by reducing the rate of transpiration.

For those who do not really know what transpiration is for, it is to help the plant in reducing excess water and assist in the pull of absorbed minerals and water at the roots to the whole plant. It generally cools down the plant during a hot weather.

A highlander would literally dry to death if exposed to sudden lowland conditions. This is because they have adapted to the cooling surroundings that keep them cool. Highlanders would transpire too much water so that they can cool themselves to match the lowland conditions. Plus, low humidity encourages more transpiration.

Btw, it's nice to be back hi all

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 17th March 2010, 10:24 PM

Edward go introduce yourself again!
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardyeeks View Post
In other words, coldness makes more water vapour. Thus, transpiration in the plant does not occur that much since the humidity is high and temperature is low. Thus, highlander neps have adapted to the cold and humid surroundings by reducing the rate of transpiration.

For those who do not really know what transpiration is for, it is to help the plant in reducing excess water and assist in the pull of absorbed minerals and water at the roots to the whole plant. It generally cools down the plant during a hot weather.

A highlander would literally dry to death if exposed to sudden lowland conditions. This is because they have adapted to the cooling surroundings that keep them cool. Highlanders would transpire too much water so that they can cool themselves to match the lowland conditions. Plus, low humidity encourages more transpiration.

Btw, it's nice to be back hi all
Respectfully, I don't agree with your points Edward.

I have some HL species and hybrids, they don't look dry all the time but they still refuse to grow in LL condition. If they can grow, they will just grow new leaves but won't pitcher.

I agree most nep need high humidity to thrive but only HL neps need a drop in temperature or the temperature difference of 10C tp 15C to thrive. There's other reason why intermediates and HL need the cycle for daily temperature drop and IMHO transpiration is only a small part of the reason. I will do some digging as I read somewhere before that certain compounds that's crucial for the development of the plants can only be synthesis in low temperature.