Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Conservation

Nepenthes Conservation Share your experiences and discussion on the conservation of Nepenthes in the wild.

Old 7th September 2009, 11:35 PM

Exclamation Poaching

Went trekking today and very sad to see a poacher on my way back
When I saw the car park by the roadside I can guess that most likely is looking for flora/fauna... especially pitcher.

I continue my way back and I saw the guy (chinese) down the hill looking for plants, he look suspicious so I took a photo of what he's doing.

I suspect that he is cutting pitcher so I turn back to find out and then saw him already came up to the roadside, when he saw me coming over he quickly put a big plastic bag fill with pitcher plants into his car and drove away.
From the amount of pitcher he took, I believe he's a commercial grower.
Those pitcher that he took are HL neps like macfarlanei and sanguinea

Last edited by David; 7th November 2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Change of Main Heading and removal of 1 picture
Old 8th September 2009, 01:34 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Poacher

From the looks of the car and the way he is dress, I think this is not a commercial grower but a private collector... one who is greedy enough to poach a whole bag full of neps.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 8th September 2009, 08:58 PM

Hate poachers.....Report him to the police!
Old 8th September 2009, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Sad to see this... Without proper enforcement, there's only so much we can do.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:38 PM

well, how do you expect them to know plucking some neps from the wild is illegal. With the rapid development going on in this country, it is just the matter of time these neps and plants are all going to be destroyed, a real clear example would be Cyberjaya, today you might saw a bunch of n. gracilis growing abundantly, by tomorrow, you might saw the same spot being wiped up totally for construction. Taking a bunch of neps doesn't necessarily means he will own all of it, he might distribute them around to close friends like how rural area people do before any land is destroyed for oil palm estate, the point is that he ensure survival of species of nep from that area before demolition begin or might even end up entering this hobby and found out such action is illegal/unethical. Don't just judge it in one way as this is not fair to people who are unaware cping ethic which are quite unknown to outsider
Old 8th September 2009, 11:13 PM

Unless the place is really doomed like what sooxiwei said(development etc), then I think taking some is OK. But this is another story. Perhaps he does not know the rules regarding wild nepenthes poaching. I have a relative who told me his neighbour has some wild neps. They did not know poacj=hing is really illegal. The rules must be made clearer for everyone to see. That's just my opinion so i hope no conflict happens.(Actually if I had the chance I would take 1 too, hehehe)
Old 8th September 2009, 11:21 PM

if the guy just took 1/2 cuttings for his own collection or for the survival of the species or for whatever reason.. then I dont mind coz sometime I oso taking plants cuttings home, but taking a big bag of the same species that would be too much.
If he want to distribute the species to friends, harvesting from the wild would be a wrong way to do it, propagation should be the correct way.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:10 PM

Hehehe, and chances are the person is maybe a member of this forum, he will be shy to say so already.

You guys are so lucky that there are still nepenthes along your roads, here, nothing at all anymore!

TTFN
Arvin
Old 9th September 2009, 11:59 PM

Its MUA!!! Hahahah jking i wish i can drive and become tat tall...Haiz sangs macs and ramps gone...

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 10th September 2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooxiwei View Post
well, how do you expect them to know plucking some neps from the wild is illegal. With the rapid development going on in this country, it is just the matter of time these neps and plants are all going to be destroyed, a real clear example would be Cyberjaya, today you might saw a bunch of n. gracilis growing abundantly, by tomorrow, you might saw the same spot being wiped up totally for construction. Taking a bunch of neps doesn't necessarily means he will own all of it, he might distribute them around to close friends like how rural area people do before any land is destroyed for oil palm estate, the point is that he ensure survival of species of nep from that area before demolition begin or might even end up entering this hobby and found out such action is illegal/unethical. Don't just judge it in one way as this is not fair to people who are unaware cping ethic which are quite unknown to outsider
Agree with you Soo.