Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Pinguicula

Pinguicula Everything about Pings or Butterwort

Old 8th June 2010, 12:54 PM

Default Ping plantlet rotten!

hi all,

need some advice, i had my ping primuliflora for a few months and producing plantlets like crazy....last sunday, thinking of doing a favor for the overcrowded mother plant's pot....i transplanted all the plantlets out. there are about 20 x 2cm across new rooted plantlets in total into the new large 2kg plastic cake container wt perforated cover, overflow holes at 1inch from base and another 1inch of media above the overflow holes...this morning to my horror ..all plantlets turn brown! what went wrong? yesterday the whole day was gloomy, drizzled in the late afternoon....

all these while, overgrown plantlets were just plucked out and stick into other pots and they are doing fine.....no cover, almost full sun, once a day watering....guess i have to wait for the mother plant and the sister plants to produce plantlets again.....sigh.

want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3783
Old 8th June 2010, 11:33 PM
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: Ping plantlet rotten!

I think you need to cover the plantlets with plastic bag to maintain the high humidity. Just like when you just received your mother plant.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesilim View Post
I think you need to cover the plantlets with plastic bag to maintain the high humidity. Just like when you just received your mother plant.
it was covered and left wt a few little holes for air exchange....so sad iost all of it.......for the mother plant, please stay alive to produce plantlets....

want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3783
Old 12th July 2010, 03:48 PM

with what substrat and what hygrometry exactly like their mother ?

this plant is quite eratic , when everything goes well without any reason she should die

jeff
Old 12th July 2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
with what substrat and what hygrometry exactly like their mother ?

this plant is quite eratic , when everything goes well without any reason she should die

jeff
hi jeff,

pardon me as i did not understand you well.....

the substrate is exactly like the mother plant and all the plantlets had actually rooted....

Old 12th July 2010, 09:23 PM

excuse me for my bad english

for the plantlets , it is better to let them spend their young age in the same condition of their mother culture, the transplanting must be make when there are adult .

this plant is quite eratic , when everything goes well ,without any reason she may die ,I had this case in their culture often.

jeff
Old 12th July 2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
excuse me for my bad english

for the plantlets , it is better to let them spend their young age in the same condition of their mother culture, the transplanting must be make when there are adult .

this plant is quite eratic , when everything goes well ,without any reason she may die ,I had this case in their culture often.

jeff
hmm....previously i have tried to seperate 2 plantlets and they survived....the later stage plantlets...(about 20) were even larger....but they didnt survive for 1 day!!

now i get your message...u meant that the mother plant will die without any reason even it is thriving and you encounters it often .....

Old 12th July 2010, 09:48 PM

I'm not too experienced with Pings, but perhaps the issue here is a lack of air circulation? You did say that previous successful attempts did not involve a cover but this one did so perhaps that's the issue?

Just like you, I also grow P. primuliflora and it produces plantlets which I just take and place on similar media when I feel like it, but I've never had them rot. Just like you too, I don't cover them either(sun and water vary).

Just wondering, but this is the typical P. primuliflora, right? I've seen what was claimed to be the rose form(can't say for sure since it wasn't in bloom), but that primuliflora's leaves were a little different and seemingly more fraglie...so perhaps different clones of P. primuliflora have slightly different preferences/tolerances. That might explain why Jeff thinks its eratic while I'd say that its easily the most fuss free Ping I own...
Old 12th July 2010, 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=Ifurita;30808]I'm not too experienced with Pings, but perhaps the issue here is a lack of air circulation? You did say that previous successful attempts did not involve a cover but this one did so perhaps that's the issue?

i would agree on this......

Just like you, I also grow P. primuliflora and it produces plantlets which I just take and place on similar media when I feel like it, but I've never had them rot. Just like you too, I don't cover them either(sun and water vary).

will be more cruel next time around......grrrr

Just wondering, but this is the typical P. primuliflora, right? I've seen what was claimed to be the rose form(can't say for sure since it wasn't in bloom), but that primuliflora's leaves were a little different and seemingly more fraglie...so perhaps different clones of P. primuliflora have slightly different preferences/tolerances. That might explain why Jeff thinks its eratic while I'd say that its easily the most fuss free Ping I own...

this should be the typical primuliflora.....

Old 14th July 2010, 02:38 PM

what water use you?

have you try with a petty sand substrat (20/80) ? for me your root plantlets had no water supply by capillary

nevertheless I consider this plant as erratic

have you a primuliflora 'rosea' ? if yes can you tell me if this plant have stamen and pistil ( I wonder if my theory of the mutated gene is OK)

jeff