Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 1st May 2010, 10:40 PM

Default HL Neps using tower fans?

Just a thought came into my mind....Since people are having success growing HL neps in air cond to a certain extent why not try a tower fan too??? It blows cool air at around 20-21C which is intermediate-ish kind of temps. Another advantage is that its much cheaper and doesn't cost that much too the electric bill right??? Only problem would be the humidity...Anyone thinks if humidity is controlled this could be a good idea?

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 1st May 2010, 10:42 PM

Default Re: HL Neps using tower fans?

Maybe???
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:17 AM

When you say tower fans, you mean fans with water to cool? Same as Evaporative air cooling fans?

I say that they do not make the air too cool for highland, but there are people who say that it is not really the cold, but the humidity that is important for H/L or Intermediates. Some say give the plants nice humid air at night, they will be happy. If true then Evaporative aircooling fans would do just nicely.

Here, there are companies that sell electricfans with misting system in the front so that there is a nice "wind" and mist when you use these.

TTFN
arvin
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvin555 View Post
When you say tower fans, you mean fans with water to cool? Same as Evaporative air cooling fans?

I say that they do not make the air too cool for highland, but there are people who say that it is not really the cold, but the humidity that is important for H/L or Intermediates. Some say give the plants nice humid air at night, they will be happy. If true then Evaporative aircooling fans would do just nicely.

Here, there are companies that sell electricfans with misting system in the front so that there is a nice "wind" and mist when you use these.

TTFN
arvin
those misting fan need to run a water pump to push water out, the setup is not cheap !!
Old 2nd May 2010, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Even though I haven't use the misting fan, one problem I can forsee will happen... too wet because of all the mist!!

I always feel evap cooling is the next best thing to cool down a growing area during day time (cost wise if compared to A/C) To get the desired night time cooling to simulate a intermediate condition, I still think A/C unit will be needed. The good thing about evap cooling is that it saturate the air with high humidity without actually getting anything wet... perhaps just the evap cooling pad. If I were to setup some sort of cool house, I will be leaning towards evap cooling (day and night time ) + A/C unit (night time only).
Old 2nd May 2010, 06:42 PM

so the answer is ? the most effective way to improve humidity is to use those water-based air cooler? i think some of them has timer function as well, so we can set the thing to run at afternoon time to compesate humidity drop problem.
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:15 PM
Pioneer

Guys,

Forget about cooling, concentrate on humidity. The higher the better.

I have success growing macfarlanei and ramispina in a high humidity tank. Macfarlanei is hard to grow and pitcher.

Right now, I am adding some more exotic high plants into the tank. I will show you the results and my setup in a few months time.

Hope you guys can wait till then.

Choong
Old 3rd May 2010, 01:08 AM

Yeah unfortunately those misters/fan cost a lot. But if you are going to try to increase humidity in a garden that is the way to go. I realized though that when members commented too much water, that the idea for evaporative cooling is to be used inside a room or indoors, then yeah misting fans will be too wet. So Evaporative cooling is the way to go. However if outdoors then maybe those misting fans or heck just buy fine misters instead. I have a misting system that is sold for misting a tent during summer, but I have not yet installed it because all my hoses to the balcony garden leak

TTFN
Arvin
Old 3rd May 2010, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltower View Post
Guys,

Forget about cooling, concentrate on humidity. The higher the better.

I have success growing macfarlanei and ramispina in a high humidity tank. Macfarlanei is hard to grow and pitcher.

Right now, I am adding some more exotic high plants into the tank. I will show you the results and my setup in a few months time.

Hope you guys can wait till then.

Choong
Hi Choong,
Good to know you're experimenting on a setup. Please keep us posted on the progress and result.
Old 3rd May 2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvin555 View Post
Yeah unfortunately those misters/fan cost a lot. But if you are going to try to increase humidity in a garden that is the way to go. I realized though that when members commented too much water, that the idea for evaporative cooling is to be used inside a room or indoors, then yeah misting fans will be too wet. So Evaporative cooling is the way to go. However if outdoors then maybe those misting fans or heck just buy fine misters instead. I have a misting system that is sold for misting a tent during summer, but I have not yet installed it because all my hoses to the balcony garden leak

TTFN
Arvin
Hi Arvin,
You're absolutely correct. If it's an open space (ie. outdoor) then fine misting is ok because natural evaporation will prevent it from becoming too wet. However, in enclosed space like a terrarium or green/cool house, those evaporated water will have no where to go, so misting will be too wet if you're this method to cool down that enclosure.

Evap fan helps by lowering the temperature (but not as much if compared to a A/C unit) and helps maintain a constant high Relative Humidity (RH) without getting anything wet. There're already a few evap cool houses in Thailand that's up and running and so far, their results are very encouraging...