Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Sarracenia

Sarracenia Everything about American Pitcher Plants

Old 22nd December 2009, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Dividing Sarracenias

what is the temp there? if it gets from 80-100 f , you should be fine. As for cuttings, i have never given any plant cuttings less sun, if they where grown in full sun, then you shouldnt worry about shade cloth,maybe a couple of hours out of direct sun each day. hope this helps
Old 4th August 2011, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Dividing Sarracenias

Hi

Is it better to wait a couple of weeks until Sarracenia and Venus fly traps start to shoot (about 2 weeks before spring starts) before dividing and potting them or could the plants grow just as well if I do it now while they are still dormant? They are under 70% shade cloth at the moment to trick them into dormancy. I thought potting and dividing them now could be better because if I did it later when they were starting to shoot it may set them back and they would require shading and hardening off again in spring which would delay growth for the season. However, a couple of other people suggest to wait a couple of weeks until they just start to shoot. I am in Australia near Cairns on the Atherton Tablelands at 757 meters altitude.

Currently the temperature range is about 11 to 20 degrees Celsius. But in three weeks, the range could be 15 to 30 degrees.

Regards Richard.