Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Old 4th August 2011, 04:19 AM

Default VFT problem

Hi, i have a problem with my VFT which is that when i replanted it the soil started to rot or create fungus, i dont exactly know what that thing on the superficial part of the soil is. My concern is that maybe it will reach the rhyzome and it will kill the plant.
Facts:the plants stays on the 8th floor outside all the time and when the time gets harsh like windy i get her inside near the window.
I only give her distiled water and only in the water tray, in every morning, only so much that the superficial part of the soil doesnt get wet enough for the pest problem to grow, at least not that fast.
Outside the temperature is around 30*C, but she got 35*C aswell in some days.
She never runs out of water or gets dry.
Before i replanted it in this soil she had a very good time, but she only stayed on the window, never in the place she is right now, but i strongly believe that it's not this the problem she's sick.
The soil is Acid Peat from the store, nothing else.
And here are some pictures:

Mother plant:

Her kids:

I wait for your response as fast as u can, i don't want her do die, me and my gf have her for almost a year and she's like a live pet to us....
Thanks in advance!
P.S.: She had worse time two weeks ago but now she seems to get a bit bit better, but i dont want to count on this. Some mold can be seen at the base of the leaves, white.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:59 AM

Default Re: VFT problem

Some of my pots have gotten that too, mostly the ones with peat-heavy mixes. I've always thought that it might be some type of slime-mold(actually a type of protist, I think) or related group. I've tried fungicide on the stuff, which hasn't seemed to have helped very much.

The growth hasn't directly attacked any of my plants, it just stayed on the top of the soil. If you don't like the look of it, you could repot into a better draining media, or stir up the top layer of soil a bit. Both of these methods have worked for me.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:04 AM

What is this "Acid Peat" product that you bought like? If it wasn't a nutrient-free mix the fertilizers and other impurities could be promoting the growth of the stuff. (And harming your plant)
Old 4th August 2011, 03:25 PM

I think it wasn't with nutrients, as far as i remember the peat i bought was from Real market and it was written on it only that it was acid and supposed to be used for another type of plants, not exactly for carnivorous plants. I think it can be this problem aswell. In the composition of the media i saw that were also things like little black little branch fragments
. That means that is not completely nutrients free?
Old 4th August 2011, 10:59 PM

I'm not sure what your local market is like, but since pretty much all common houseplants and garden plants need plenty of nutrients, most soil mixes have things added to them.

The key here is that you watch your plants carefully; if their health continues to decline, I would assume that the potting mix is to blame and find an alternative. You can buy nutrient-free peat online, or you could try looking around locally for nutrient-free ingredients. I have heard of people being able to find long fiber sphagnum moss and perlite which are free of nutrients at their local store.

Also, although I have not tried this myself, you could try washing the nutrients out of the soil. The method is explained here: http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_p...us_plants.html

Here's a thread on the subject for more information:
http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=4305

If you do go with washing the soil, you will need a lot of pure water, either distilled, reverse osmosis, or rainwater.
Old 6th August 2011, 04:17 PM
1peese

Quote:
Some of my pots have gotten that too, mostly the ones with peat-heavy mixes. I've always thought that it might be some type of slime-mold(actually a type of protist, I think) or related group. I've tried fungicide on the stuff, which hasn't seemed to have helped very much. The growth hasn't directly attacked any of my plants, it just stayed on the top of the soil. If you don't like the look of it, you could repot into a better draining media, or stir up the top layer of soil a bit. Both of these methods have worked for me.
It is draw?