Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Default David: Neopenthes Names and Meanings

David
Administrator

Nepenthes Names and Meanings
« Thread Started on Dec 24, 2007, 2:09pm »
I would like to start a thread to list down all the names for Nepenthes from the different countries in the world and what it means to the culture or people in that country. Would need everyone's contribution here.

Ok, here's what i know about neps name in Malaysia. Do correct me or add if my information is wrong or not complete...

MALAYSIA

Monkey Cup - This name came to be because monkeys were seen drinking water from the pitchers. As such the locals living in the rural areas refer to them as monkey's cup ie. monkey cup.

Periuk Kera - This is the Bahasa Malaysia word for "monkey's pot" and it is also derived from the same reasons as the name Monkey Cup. I never did found out why it's "pot". Never seen monkeys cooking in them.

Pitcher Plant - This name is also quite commonly use in Malaysia and is considered the layman's term for Nepenthes. I think this is used worldwide too.

Zhu Long Cao - The Chinese in Malaysia call our beloved plant by this name. I need help here on the translation. I think it means "money flowing through pig's cage". The Chinese believe that nepenthes are good feng shui in your house. The pitchers are like pots carrying gold into your house, ie. nepenthes bring prosperity.
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2007, 3:19pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist bifurcatum

Re: Nepenthes Names and Meanings
« Reply #1 on Dec 24, 2007, 2:49pm »
Hi David,
I thing in chinese it should be 'Zhu Long Cao' not 'Chu Rong Choa'
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2007, 2:50pm by bifurcatum »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #2 on Dec 24, 2007, 3:20pm »
Thanks Law. Amended
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist wijaya

Pride of Sumatra

« Reply #3 on Dec 25, 2007, 7:31pm »
Hi all, will like to add some name used for nepenthes in Indonesia:

Kantong Semar - being the most common used nationwide, as the pitchers shape is kind of round and fat similar to 'Semar' a name of one of the character in Indonesian "wayang"

Kantong Rezeki - newly invented as neps become more popular the seller is linking the 'pocket of luck' into the name.

Sorok Raja Mantri - in West Java as the pitcher looks like money bag used by the king at old time.

Periuk Monyet - in Riau, in the wild monkey is drinking from the pitchers.

Kantong Beruk - in Jambi, 'Beruk' also means monkey

Ketakung - in Bangka

Tahul-Tahul - in North Sumatra

Kobe-Kobe - in New Guinea

Ketupat Napu - in Central Borneo as "Napu" means swamp.

Telep Ujung - in Central Borneo "telep ujung" is a holder for poison dart made of bamboo used by native, and neps pitcher looks like one.

Selo Bengongong - in East Borneo which literaly means insect nests.

Kantong Godah - in West Sumatra as a name of a traditional food made by using nepenthes pitcher.

Got all this from several books published in Indonesia, thanks to them so I can share with you all.

Ed

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #4 on Dec 25, 2007, 10:25pm »
Wow! Interesting that there are so many names and meanings for nepenthes in Indonesia. Would appreciate it if you can explain a little bit more about the character "Semar" in Indonesian wayang. I'm curious.

Hey, Kantong Rezeki has a similar meaning as what the chinese calls neps in Malaysia, ie. bringing luck/prosperity.

What does Ketakung, Tahul-Tahul and Kobe-Kobe mean?

I bet there might be different names for neps in Thailand. I know that they are called Ma Kou Ma Kin Lin. Most probably I got the wrong speling but it sounds something like that. Hey, CP buddies from Thailand, care to share a little?

How about other countries?

I'll combine everyone's efforts and comments and archive this in the Article Board.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2007, 10:39pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist wijaya

Pride of Sumatra

« Reply #5 on Dec 26, 2007, 10:37pm »
Yup, quite a lot of name and calling as for each regions/tribes is different.

Semar - is described as chubby, smart and wise in the 'wayang' story.

Tahul-tahul, ketakung and kobe-kobe same meaning as "kantong" is in the native accent/ language? for every tribes they have their own language, like in Chinese there are Mandarin, Hokkian, Hakka, Cantonese etc.

Hope this explain
Ed

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged nepenthesfreak

« Reply #6 on Dec 26, 2007, 11:27pm »
A common one in America is "venus fly trap." « Last Edit: Dec 26, 2007, 11:27pm by nepenthesfreak »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged(\__/)
(='.'=)
(" )_(" )
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on Jan 4, 2008, 12:21pm »
N/freak : They call nepenthes `venus flytrap` in America ? ......

David : i think it`s `periuk` ( pot ) in BM coz the word `cawan`( cup ) is too small. Maybe the monkeys were seen drinking from bigger sized pitchers i.e. 8" long & quite wide pitchers so `cawan` won`t do it justice. My 2 cts laa.
« Last Edit: Jan 4, 2008, 12:25pm by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #8 on Jan 4, 2008, 1:55pm »

Quote:David : i think it`s `periuk` ( pot ) in BM coz the word `cawan`( cup ) is too small. Maybe the monkeys were seen drinking from bigger sized pitchers i.e. 8" long & quite wide pitchers so `cawan` won`t do it justice. My 2 cts laa.

Haa, haaa, I think your're right.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged