Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 27th September 2008, 10:57 AM

Default Re: mini-shade house test

Haha, nice job Shawn.

Btw, you could probably put some shelfs in to maximize the amout of space you have to use if you want to. It looks like you have enough room in there, well I don't know...
Old 27th September 2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Advisor

Good call! In the last week I found five big shelving racks at a local recycling place and bought them all! Unfortunately, they are all too big to fit into this mini shade house. Just this morning I discussed with my foreman building a new 'double-the-size' and 'tall-enough-to-stand-in' one that will hold a central shelving rack. I keep dreaming of clearing off my porch of all the plants so I can actually use it for relaxation...but that's probably only a dream, I'll just fill it up again!
Old 30th September 2008, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Hi Shawn,
If you do run out space once all those seedlings grow up, I think I can spare some place for them...
Very impressive "mini-shade house" you got there... When you feel it's time for you to start selling neps, please let me know !!
Old 6th October 2008, 06:36 PM

hahaha yeah i know of a bunch of people like CPnut that will be willing, if you ask politely to help spare some space for your excess plants Shawn, namely all the members of this forum

May I know what material is that capilliary mat that you use? I understand we can use Cocofiber mats as well right?

Oh and don't fully take away all the plants in your porch in my opinion the plants will give you relaxation. My plant area is not so big but when I am sitting while inspecting my plants I think I go into a state of meditation hahahaha! Pruning is also theraputic.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 6th October 2008, 10:31 PM
Senior Advisor

The capillary mat is some sort of plastic product, I believe. It is manufactured for use as an air conditioning filter material, among other things. It has to be cut with scissors - you can not tear it because it is too strong and it's very light weight. I was searching for it in big rolls (2 m. x 100m) to use in creating some "living walls". Finally I also found it in black color which works better for my usage than the normal white. Yes, I think that cocofiber matting would work the same but I think it would have to soak quite a while to become soft enough to be able to 'push' the pots down into it. You want there to be a very good 'bond' between the media in the pot and the capillary mat so the plants can draw up as much water as they need.

Arvin, I don't think I could ever get down to a plant-less porch, don't worry! I cleared it out last week to a point where I could see 75% of the floor, more than I had been able to see in over a year...that was 8 days ago - today I can see maybe 30%! It doesn't take long for me to refill the area.