Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 16th September 2010, 04:38 AM

Default Washing peat and sand.

Hello

I read that it is worth washing peat and sand as indicated at http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_peat_and_sand_for_carnivorous_plants.html

However, there may be some types of peat and sand that can be bought with very few impurities in it and it may not need washing.

I can buy Te-em brand locally and that is what is recommended for carnivorous plants. It is Canadian sphagnum based peat and it may not need washing like the other types.

Also, I read that propagating sand is much better and that is what they recommend. It says that it is washed. If I can get that, it may not need to be washed.
If ordinary sand is used they say to wash it well.

Would you still suggest that I wash this Te-em peat moss or propagating sand?

See the first 3 paragraph that are in green print at http://triffidpark.com.au/htm_pages/growing_carnivorous_plants.htm
I did not notice where they suggest to wash the peat or sand if this type is used.

I had been washing the peat and sand by putting a straining cloth in an open mesh tray and putting the peat and sand on top of that and then letting the hose run over it for about an hour to leach any impurities out.

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.

Old 16th September 2010, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Washing peat and sand.

washing in that site reason is to avoid the growth of algae,fungi and any other microorganism that might grow on the media.but those things dont hurt ur plant.so washing isnt necessary.but if u wanna germinate seeds,i suggest u to sterilize it instead of washing it to avoid fungi or mould taking over the seeds.heres hw i sterilize my medium

-moist ur medium using distilled water(just moist it.no need to be wet.)
-after u moist it,put it in a wok or kettle or something like that and boil it until the medium dries or for 2mins++.
-then cool it down and u can use it.chances of growth of fungi/mould/algae is very low almost 0%

i use that method many times.try it.

Regards
Old 16th September 2010, 01:10 PM

Hello

Thanks for the letter.

I thought that putting the peat in an oven may be better as it could heat it easier and reduce the risk of a heating element burning out. I think it would be best to put the peat inside a sealed plastic oven bag in baking tray to avoid any contamination of an oven that is used to cook food. Do you think this would be a good idea? What temperature do you suggest that I heat it? I thought about 120 degrees Celcius for an hour may be enough if a 2 inch layer of peat is spread over about one and a half square feet. Would that be a good time and temperature to heat it?

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.
Old 16th September 2010, 04:29 PM

i many times sterilized it in microwave.microwave easier.but u just need to heat it.100celcius also can as long as the temp is hot when u touch ur finger,u will respond bck.it wont effect the bakery tray.u can use the same tray bck for food but u need to wash it with soap.i usualy moist the peat or just take the peat from the bag and put it in a microwave safe bowl or bakery tray also can.but if u wanna use bakery tray,dont use microwave coz the tray will reflect the waves to the microwave's wall and explode or broke.

i usualy heat it around 2mins for 3handful of peat.so u can calculate by that.sterilizing isnt necessary if u wanna use it to pot ur plants but if u wanna propagate,i suggest u to sterilized it so that mould/algae and whatever dont attack ur seeds or stem or leaf or anything la.

dont be TOO careful if u touch the peat with ur hands bcoz this is not TC.a little amount of bacteria is ok.this method just killing some bacteria and algea and mould agents.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Harris Azariel; 16th September 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: adding facts