Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Propagation

Nepenthes Propagation Projects, information and discussion on propagating Picther Plants

View Poll Results: What kind of watering method do you use when germinating Nepenthes seeds
Water Tray 7 43.75%
Misting till wet 6 37.50%
Direct/Slowly pouring water in 1 6.25%
Others- Please post a reply 3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th January 2011, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default What watering method used when germinating Nepenthes seeds

Interested to find out methods used by Nepenthes enthusiast to germinate their Nepenthes seeds. I have here water tray, misting, direct watering. Before I start a poll, any other method I miss out>
Old 27th January 2011, 02:58 PM

Default Re: What watering method used when germinating Nepenthes seeds

Just misting till its wet enough

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 27th January 2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Okay, let's start a poll.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:20 PM
Executive Member

I will go ahead with mist or water tray method..

However, one thing need to aware is the water level for water tray method.
Old 27th January 2011, 08:46 PM

I would prefer misting the soil and seedlings. Water tray isn't really reliable for me. First, more media is needed so that the water tray does not flood/waterlogged the soil. Then, there's the issue when you need to remove the water tray eventually to prevent root rot for the seedlings(unless you are using a pot or a few inches deep soil). The water level needs to be mantained too, not too much and not too little. And lastly, mosquitoes larvae have the tendency to grow ALOT in water trays for me, so now I hold a grudge on the effectiveness of water tray

On the contrary, spraying is more safer. The only risk you will have to face is media drying due to insufficient sprayed water. And, it's not even time consuming unless you have a hundred of germination trays . Misting also kind of simulates a raining envrionment for the seedlings which I believe is beneficial for the plant (note that this is just my opinion and observation, it might not be true!).

Therefore, I would prefer spraying!

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 31st January 2011, 04:02 PM

Recently just ordered a number of seeds from Rob, supposed to receive today. Plus some from PiscesiLim. I'll do some quick experiment on water tray, water tray+cover, misting/spray+cover, for 2 media (Cut Sphagnum Moss+pearlite, peat moss+pearlite). So that's 2x3 variables. I'll put them side by side and use same seeds (LL hopefully with highest chance of germination), for all these perturbations. Don't think I hv enough seeds to add more variables, and I don't want to hv too little seeds per scenario. Will duplicate with another Neps, if I hv time today. Spent ~4-5hrs preparing the media and trays last night, ran out of time to take photo. By the time I realized, it's already 12:45am. Will post later.