Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 2nd July 2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Default hongrui: Crude rainshelter for drosera (Read 200 times)

hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

Crude rainshelter for drosera
« Thread Started on 24 Oct, 2007, 13:53 »being sick of the heavy rains battering up my drosera, i decided to build a rain shelter for them.

2 of 5 of 3' x 2' polycarbonate

some pieces of metal for the frame + nuts and bolts + tools

starting out:

lots of elbow grease later:

lagi more elbow grease later:

the shelters are 2'x3'x2' tall. now, just to see how well these shelters are going to hold out against the heavy rains expected for the week. if they do work as well as i hope that they will, i should be able to house all of my current drosera collection under them with room for expansion! wheeee~

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
tarence
Global Moderator

Re: Crude rainshelter for drosera
« Reply #1 on 24 Oct, 2007, 15:29 »hongrui, nice protection for your `****es`. so far, my adult sundews have been able to withstand the raindrops. i do worry about the younger plants tho.

do you plan to elevate the sundew pots underneath the shelter ? coz sometimes the raindrops splatters on the ground ( oops, yours is a combo of wood & tiles) and sploshes sideways onto the pots.

i guess the penetrative light levels should be fine ya ? mmmmm....i`m getting ideas for my own sundews.

is this the balcony area ? is this where your new colony of sundews is gonna be housed ? *smile*

other folks : see this fella, still got so much space ! aiya.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #2 on 24 Oct, 2007, 18:25 »Nice shelter hongrui. Looks very steady and could withstand a storm. I'm thinking the same thing as Tarence too. Perhaps you could build another shelf at the bottom to allevate the plants from the ground so that your "****es" would be protected by splattered raindrops from the ground. Aslo if they are nearrer to the top of the polycarbonate roof, less rain wouls also get to the sundews when wind blows the rain sideways... Just my thoughts if it helps Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisthongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #3 on 24 Oct, 2007, 20:21 »thanks for your comments tarence and david.

yes tarence, this is at my balcony. still got lots of space left heh heh. i'll have even more space downstairs for my neps after i move my drosera collection up.

i don't think i'll be constructing another shelf (too much trouble), but i might be adding a 'skirt' using clear plastic sheet to block out rain coming in from the side, but i'm worried about the lack of ventilation, so i'll just be monitoring the situation first and see how it goes.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 3 Dec, 2007, 12:49 »hongrui, how goes your shelter ? does it work & do the sundews grow well under them ? update plse *smile* Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #5 on 3 Dec, 2007, 16:40 »hongrui, the metal frames are they galvanised or ordinary steel? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 3 Dec, 2007, 19:09 »i know what you are thinking Robert....rust ! heheh....it looks like ordinary steel to me. lifespan : 2 years or so. Had them before. But well, it`ll serve its purpose. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #7 on 3 Dec, 2007, 19:58 »Right Tarence. I would use galvanized steel instead, just extra $. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #8 on 4 Dec, 2007, 11:00 »yep its ordinary steel. hehe they are just a stop-gap measure until i somehow manage to save enough $$ to get something more permanent done up with maybe aluminium or copper.

tarence: i'm posting some new pics of the plants under the drosera seduction thread.
« Last Edit: 4 Dec, 2007, 11:01 by hongrui »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 4 Dec, 2007, 17:41 »ok, i`ll look there. thx. Link to Post - Back to Top Logged