Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > Search Forums

Showing results 1 to 25 of 88
Search took 0.01 seconds; generated 67 minute(s) ago.
Search: Posts Made By: Richard Hole
Forum: Nepenthes Propagation 7th June 2017, 08:46 PM
Replies: 0
Views: 1,873
Posted By Richard Hole
Best time to propagate nepenthes.

Hello

Do you think the season or weather conditions when Nepenthes cuttings are taken will make much difference to the success rate if the cuttings will be planted in a heated terrarium? ...
Forum: Nepenthes Propagation 15th June 2015, 08:58 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 5,334
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: Using honey to strike Nepenthes.

Hello

Have you used or heard of someone that used organic honey instead of root hormone for Nepenthes cuttings and if so, have you found that it either helps or does not do any...
Forum: Nepenthes 27th March 2015, 02:59 PM
Replies: 0
Views: 1,520
Posted By Richard Hole
Best cutting propagation method

Hello

Do you know of anyone that has done some experiments to measure how much difference various cutting striking methods make for Nepenthes?

For example, some people claim that a particular...
Forum: Sarracenia 23rd June 2013, 04:04 PM
Replies: 4
Views: 3,445
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: Best way to remove dead growth in dormancy.

Hi

Thanks. That is interesting. Some people suggest leaving the green parts of the plants on to enable food and photosynthesis for the plant. I think it would be best to leave the fully...
Forum: Sarracenia 22nd June 2013, 08:10 PM
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: Best way to remove dead growth in dormancy.

Hi

Thanks for the interesting info. I am actually allowing my Sarracenias to get dryer now. I have been watching them very closely every day to make sure they do not dry out completely as I...
Forum: Sarracenia 20th June 2013, 09:22 PM
Posted By Richard Hole
Best way to remove dead growth in dormancy.

Hi

What is the best and easiest way to remove dead growth off Sarracenias during dormancy? I thought it would be best to wait until the pitcher fully dies down to the base and then pull it...
Forum: Sarracenia 9th November 2012, 04:54 PM
Replies: 1
Views: 3,719
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: Sarracenias leaf pullings

Hello

Has anyone every tried striking Sarracenia leaf pullings in pure water and if so, how does the strike rates compare to using a growing medium like peat moss? If they could grow in water it...
Forum: Sarracenia 12th September 2012, 03:45 AM
Replies: 3
Views: 2,078
Posted By Richard Hole
Is second hand potting mix fine to use?

Hello

I pot my Sarracenias in two parts sphagnum based peat moss and one part perlite. I am repotting some of the plants that I potted one year ago in order to divide them. I am pouring the...
Forum: Sarracenia 10th September 2012, 07:01 AM
Views: 3,719
Posted By Richard Hole
Sarracenias leaf pullings

Hello

I am in the process of dividing and Sarracenias and doing leaf pullings.

I have a greenhouse with 50% white Solarweave plastic. In the greenhouse I have a mister that cuts on when the...
Forum: Drosera 6th January 2012, 11:34 PM
Replies: 9
Views: 5,914
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: The best way to grow Drosera leaf cuttings.

Hello

In my recent experiments I have found wet peat to be better than water. In water I found the plants started to grow but then stopped growing rapidly and with some species they stopped...
Forum: Nepenthes Propagation 6th December 2011, 11:55 AM
Views: 3,228
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: Nepenthes cuttings.

Hello

I just found out that there is another rooting hormone which is cheaper and possibly more user friendly than Clonex and it has the same active ingredient. Rootex also contains Indole...
Forum: Nepenthes Propagation 30th November 2011, 09:51 PM
Posted By Richard Hole

Hello

Based on your and other people’s advice, I updated the diagram I did in the attachment. Also, what I described as the ridge before is actually called the wing. Does the diagram look...
Forum: Nepenthes Propagation 26th November 2011, 09:49 PM
Posted By Richard Hole

Hi

Are you suggesting that I make the cut that forms the bottom end of the cutting further away from the node so that there is a longer length of stem between the node and the bottom end of the...
Forum: Nepenthes Propagation 24th November 2011, 08:47 PM
Posted By Richard Hole
Nepenthes cuttings.

Hello

I am wondering the best way to cut Nepenthes cuttings based on my ideas below. An experienced grower suggested dipping the part of the cutting that goes underground in 75% methylated...
Forum: Dionaea muscipula 6th September 2011, 02:59 AM
Views: 3,958
Posted By Richard Hole
Growing outdoors or under cover

Hello

Do you think it is best to grow Venus Fly Traps under a plastic roof out of the heavy rain? I heard that they do not grow as well in the heavy rain and rain can set off the traps. I know...
Forum: Sarracenia 4th August 2011, 07:23 PM
Replies: 11
Views: 4,462
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: Dividing Sarracenias

Hi

Is it better to wait a couple of weeks until Sarracenia and Venus fly traps start to shoot (about 2 weeks before spring starts) before dividing and potting them or could the plants grow just...
Forum: Sarracenia 21st June 2011, 08:38 PM
Views: 2,231
Posted By Richard Hole
Conditions for dormancy

Hello

I am from the Atherton Tablelands in the tropics near Cairns. Where I live at 757 meters altitude I frequently get temperatures between 10 and 21 degrees Celsius for the minimum and...
Forum: Drosera 29th March 2011, 02:38 PM
Posted By Richard Hole

Hello

I put some Drosera leaf cuttings in water over 3 months ago. Some of the plantlets are about 1 centimeter long but have produced few if any roots. Should I wait a couple more months for...
Forum: Drosera 7th March 2011, 02:19 PM
Views: 2,720
Posted By Richard Hole
Are root cuttings better? Best growing conditions?

Hello

On the Atherton Tableland near Cairns in the tropics at 757 meters altitude I have had a lot of success with Drosera Binata root cuttings that grow quickly and I also read that Drosera root...
Forum: Drosera 11th February 2011, 02:53 AM
Posted By Richard Hole

Hello

I have had some Drosera leaf cuttings growing plantlets in water.

Some of the leaves have only produced one plantlet after about 6 weeks.

Do you suggest cutting the plantlets off...
Forum: Drosera 4th December 2010, 01:45 AM
Posted By Richard Hole
The best way to grow Drosera leaf cuttings.

Hello

Is there any advantage of taking Drosera leaf cuttings by cutting the leaf where it intersects the crown compared to cutting the leaf 2 or 3 millimeters away from where it joins the crown? A...
Forum: Drosera 20th October 2010, 03:05 PM
Views: 1,226
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: What is the Best weather to sow seed to reduce mold?

Hello

Thanks for the suggestions.

I saw an article at http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/Soil/sterile.htm about how to sterilize soil. Please let me know what you think.

I thought...
Forum: Drosera 19th October 2010, 04:53 AM
Views: 1,226
Posted By Richard Hole
What is the Best weather to sow seed to reduce mold?

Hello

It is spring and I am about to sow some Drosera seeds. I am growing them in a greenhouse with plastic on the sides and roof that stops the direct sun and rain entering. The white plastic...
Forum: Sarracenia 5th October 2010, 04:48 PM
Views: 1,522
Posted By Richard Hole
Removing Sarracenia flowers

Hello

I had my Sarracenias in the fridge over winter and potted them up about 2 weeks ago. Some of them are growing flower buds before they are growing any pitchers. Should I remove these flower...
Forum: Sarracenia 5th October 2010, 04:44 PM
Views: 1,389
Posted By Richard Hole
Re: Growing conditions after removing Sarracenias from the fridge and mold.

Hello

Thanks for your suggestions. A local grower suggested to put the Sarracenias in semi shade for only about 3 or 4 days before transferring them into full sunlight BEFORE the young shoots...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 88