Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Orchids

Orchids Everything about plants in the Orchidaceae family

Old 12th July 2010, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Indoor Orchid Garden

Nice one Ari, it seems that we share the same hobby.... orchids and CP's. Not only that
I plan to retire someday to a place similar to your retirement house.....
Old 12th July 2010, 08:19 PM
Global Moderator

Nice setup you have... And you have a very nice collection of species orchids.. May I ask what medium you use to grow your paphiopedilum? I see you have glaucophyllum and bullenianum..

BTW, please do not collect paphiopedilum from the wild as they are endangered (CITES Appendix 1 plants).
Old 12th July 2010, 09:48 PM

small space, well maintain and loads of varieties! hebat!!

want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3783
Old 13th July 2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyhoo View Post
Hi there, you have a nice "airwell" area!!!!

BTW, you are ari that into planted tank sometime ago? You know Dom, stanChung they all?

yup thats me brader.....tot dom and stan are no longer talking to each other
Old 13th July 2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphiguy View Post
Nice one Ari, it seems that we share the same hobby.... orchids and CP's. Not only that
I plan to retire someday to a place similar to your retirement house.....

all dreams will come thru brader...soon or later
Old 13th July 2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphioboy View Post
Nice setup you have... And you have a very nice collection of species orchids.. May I ask what medium you use to grow your paphiopedilum? I see you have glaucophyllum and bullenianum..

BTW, please do not collect paphiopedilum from the wild as they are endangered (CITES Appendix 1 plants).
i didnt know they are protected brader...its a surprise actually, as i could see plenty of them in west java some grew very big...mostly glaucophyllum.
i would not even buy one if i know they are protected brader the same way i will not buy an arowana fish
maybe in indonesia the law is lax but then its not an excuse anyhow

i use palm oil roots as medium, the bottom is filled with white foam

since we are talking abt protected species...i have some rare wild ones from papua...i dont know if they are protected or not but the local irian jaya( indonesian side of papua) state goverment had banned all wild orchids getting thru the state borders...i got mine away before the ban

let me know if these are protected or not ya brader

Bulbophyllum Graveolens

Dendrobium Spectabile

all i know the price of these two had sky rocketed since the ban...about 8 times. lucky i got mine while they are still cheap...too bad i didnt get more of them

what about this one brader...its given to me by a friend, no idea what it is but its abt to flower.....Malaxis???

Last edited by ari; 13th July 2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 13th July 2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:

i didnt know they are protected brader...its a surprise actually, as i could see plenty of them in west java some grew very big...mostly glaucophyllum.
i would not even buy one if i know they are protected brader the same way i will not buy an arowana fish
maybe in indonesia the law is lax but then its not an excuse anyhow

i use palm oil roots as medium, the bottom is filled with white foam

since we are talking abt protected species...i have some rare wild ones from papua...i dont know if they are protected or not but the local irian jaya( indonesian side of papua) state goverment had banned all wild orchids getting thru the state borders...i got mine away before the ban

let me know if these are protected or not ya brader

Bulbophyllum Graveolens

Dendrobium Spectabile

all i know the price of these two had sky rocketed since the ban...about 8 times. lucky i got mine while they are still cheap...too bad i didnt get more of them

what about this one brader...its given to me by a friend, no idea what it is but its abt to flower.....Malaxis???

Old 13th July 2010, 08:53 AM
Global Moderator

Interesting... Palm oil roots.. Where do you get this..? As far as I know, bulbo graveolens and dend spectabile are not in CITES (yet)... Many nurseries have propagated them from seed, so should be more widely available. The terrestrial looks like the common jewel orchid Ludisia discolor.. Interesting that yours is flowering. Ludisia usually doesn't flower in the lowlands..
Old 13th July 2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Interesting... Palm oil roots.. Where do you get this..? As far as I know, bulbo graveolens and dend spectabile are not in CITES (yet)... Many nurseries have propagated them from seed, so should be more widely available. The terrestrial looks like the common jewel orchid Ludisia discolor.. Interesting that yours is flowering. Ludisia usually doesn't flower in the lowlands..

i buy the palm oil roots from the nusery, they come in square blocks, the same ones i use to mount my orchids , the blocks does a good job of remaining moist but not too wet...moss simply love to grow on such and quickly....for pots i break them up with a hammer

ah good if they are not on the list meaning theres still a steady population in the wild.
nursery propagated graveolens and spectabile are available in jakarta but not too often you see them,the price is not too expensive and they do grow nicely without much problem. the only problem according to the local experts is nursery propagated ones does not smell as good as the wilds ones...thus the heavy price for the wilds and with the ban in force , the price sky rocketed
i always had a hard time telling apart wilds and nursery orchids even though the seller claims honesty i still have doubts
better to rely on friends who are more into this, usually they are the ones who will make the decision for me to buy or not or its a fake.
the only tell sign i know is wilds one always looks fragile, dry and busted up while nursery ones are robust ,shinning green and healthy looking

so brader how do you guys in Malaysia tell apart nursery and wild ones?

these are nursery propagated spectabiles ...healhty and not too expensive...about Rupiah 250,000 (rm85)

the seeds looks tempting.

i almost bought this..until my friend told me "jangan yang ini...buang waktu"
Old 14th July 2010, 08:48 AM
Global Moderator

hmm.. I think you are referring to tree fern slabs, not oil palm..

As you mentioned yourself 'the only tell sign i know is wilds one always looks fragile, dry and busted up while nursery ones are robust ,shinning green and healthy looking'... Its best to buy a plant that is established in its pot, not bare root. Most species orchids sold bare-root tend to be collected fresh from the jungle, and may harbour disease.. They also take a very long time to establish.

The last dend spectabile looks good. Why did your friend say its a waste of time..? Maybe he meant that the plant is reluctant to flower soon as its supporting so many seed pods..